Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you had to pay hefty customs fees when buying from Japan?

Re: Have you had to pay hefty customs fees when buying from Japan?

I've bought many items from Japan, several European countries, and a few things from China and have never paid any import duties.

Eric Woodbury

Once from Japan for used camera and lens. Once from Spain for a new clarinet. Once from France for a used clarinet. And once from England last week for a new musical instrument.

Death and taxes.

Never
    Tin Can

Flew back from U-UK

I was the only on big airplane

Declaring
    Tin Can

Last I checked, there is no U.S. duty on photography equipment from Japan. I’ve bought a ton of it. I can’t explain why Eric had to pay a duty, unless it was not described in a way that looked like photography equipment to the customs inspector.

Watches and cameras from Switzerland? That’s a whole other thing.

Rick “but always the $800 minimum” Denney

Drew Wiley

There are no customs fees in relation Japan purchases. Many Japanese dealers are excellent, and I've actually gotten shipments from there faster than inside my own State (CA). But like from anyone, double check the specifics in the listing against the photos, and if necessary contact the dealer about any wear n tear issues.

multiplex

Paul

the only gear from Japan I have purchased has been from BS Kumar, and there were no extra fees, and I was very happy with my purchases.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    In the UK you pay 20% Vat plus customs handling fees on Japanese purchases, above some threshold value which i haven't yet identified !
    The UK government, like most western governments, collects VAT (similar to what Americans call sales tax) on imports, and it has the systems in place to do it. Americans are just getting used to paying sales tax on imports from the state next door, let alone from Japan. Until fairly recently, avoidance of sales tax was a national sport. On imports from another country, including earlier this year from Western Europe for an item worth US$3500, I have never been charged sales tax. Charging me might require co-operation within Congress, it would certainly require co-operation between the federal and state governments, plus there would have to be a system in place to actually collect it. At least one of those is missing.

I'd be surprised if the UK charges duty on photo equipment imported from Japan, and I would think that the amount is insignificant compared to the VAT if it does. If I'm wrong about that, it wouldn't be the first time; I'd just be surprised.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Thanks all, for your reassurance. I've already made a purchase and just received the camera (A Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2) and I paid no fees. It came fast (3 days!) and it appears to be very good. I will run film through it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I'd be surprised if the UK charges duty on photo equipment imported from Japan, and I would think that the amount is insignificant compared to the VAT if it does. If I'm wrong about that, it wouldn't be the first time; I'd just be surprised.
    The EU and many other countries charge relatively low customs duty on photographic equipment, usually between 4-6%. However, VAT or some variant of it is almost always charged. VAT is quite hefty at 19-23%, and this is what makes my European customers complain about "customs duties". They forget that they would be charged VAT if they bought the same item from a shop in their own country. And even an individual would factor in the VAT he paid earlier into his current selling price.

In some other countries like India and Brazil the total of duty, VAT and other charges can reach 48%.

Kumar