Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should I chuck my Epson Stylus Pro 3880

Re: should I chuck my Epson Stylus Pro 3880

Scott,

I would invest in a new printer. I gave up on Epson a long time ago. It was never about quality. Epson really invented the fine art printer market. It was about reliability and cost of repair. I would look at the Canon Pro-1000. It is one of two printers I use and have printed on it for several years. Once you get it dialed in, it is a very impressive printer. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Joshua

So there, that has helped, huh?

FWIW, I'm running two 3800s, one color, one B&W, with Cone inks. I leave both on matte all the time. I've had quite a bit of trouble with the high density matte black in the all B&W printer clogging. Don't tell Jon Cone, but I'm going to use the remainder of that ink, then try replacing that cartridge with the Epson matte black, which has never given me any trouble. All other inks in that machine will be Piezography.

At the recommendation of someone here, I've put both machines on a timer that turns them on and off a couple times a week, and that seems to be a good plan.

But if either of my machines really broke down, I would probably be looking at a new printer, rather than repairing.

This may sound a little odd but one of the reasons to buy a Canon Pro-1000 is if it were to break down and need replacement, it makes financial sense to do so. They run between $1000 - $1100. It comes with $720 of ink. If you transfer your old ink cartridges (some will run out filling the lines and heads, in that case use the new ones) so you gain a lot of ink for having to replace the printer, offsetting the cost.

-Joshua