Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I chuck my Epson Stylus Pro 3880

should I chuck my Epson Stylus Pro 3880

My 3880 reached the end of its life and quit printing. Im not interested in printing color any more so can this model be converted to B&W printing with the right set of inks or shhould I just start all over with a updated models, canon or epson. Of course I'm looking for an inexpensive way to go for a hobbyist printer who wants good results. Thanks in advance. Scott

Re: should I chuck my Epson Stylus Pro 3880

Quote Originally Posted by trad.dig.experience View Post
    My 3880 reached the end of its life and quit printing. Im not interested in printing color any more so can this model be converted to B&W printing with the right set of inks or shhould I just start all over with a updated models, canon or epson. Of course I'm looking for an inexpensive way to go for a hobbyist printer who wants good results. Thanks in advance. Scott
    It is sad that getting an inkjet printer serviced is quite difficult--and probably on purpose. I suppose if you have a large-format printer there are service contracts available, but for a 13" wide printer, the sellers usually do not provide service that I know of.

Why do you think the printer has reached the end of its life? If you think it is operating well enough to dedicate to black and white printing (I would seriously look into piezography), it should be able to print color just fine.

Chuck it. Not worth pouring $$$ into a Piezography conversion of a printer that's on its last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Chuck it. Not worth pouring $$$ into a Piezography conversion of a printer that's on its last legs.
    Agreed. Don’t do the conversion on an aging Epson 3880. The new Epson P900 is the like for like replacement and does a great job on B&W with extra B&W inks in the set to improve tonality and to accommodate Glossy Byrata and Matt Rag papers. I think you will be very happy with the improvement in the output and you don’t need to mess around with a conversion. My old 3880 was on its last legs and I did the upgrade - I print both color and B&W.

Curious to know what the problem was with the 3880 printer. I had a 3800 printer that leaked black ink, but maybe could have been saved if I changed out the cartridge. It also had some blocked magenta that I could live with. I'm eyeing a 3880 for sale locally to me.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Curious to know what the problem was with the 3880 printer. I had a 3800 printer that leaked black ink, but maybe could have been saved if I changed out the cartridge. It also had some blocked magenta that I could live with. I'm eyeing a 3880 for sale locally to me.

Jon
    One of the main problems with the 3880 is the black ink change mechanism, which changes black ink from MK to PK. If this is not done for long period of time, as might be typical of those who print mostly with on of the inks, the other ink will clog the nozzle and even into a small nozzle that directs the ink. If this mechanism gets clogged it will not be possible to use one of the inks, and if you attempt a change you will often see leaked ink. And if any of the inks gets clogged it may be impossible to clean the print head, which makes the printer useless as repair is not cost effective, and parts no longer available.

Otherwise the 3880 was a great printer capable of very nice glossy or matte surface color or B&W prints.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I have several 3880. Original cartridges have been modified so that I can reset the chip and fill them up with Cone inks (or Epson inks from larger cartridges). Same thing for the maintenance tank, plenty of tutorials online.

The capping station needs to be cleaned once in a while (service manuals are easy to find) and dampers cleaned or exchanged (order from china, as the importers refuse to sell the parts). The valve that swiches mat/photo ink should also be cleaned from time to time.

My guess is that those printers will basically run forever if the user is ready to do the maintenance.

It seems that the newer versions (P900) cannot be hacked the same way, and Jon Cone says a 3880 prints just as well with his inks. I tend to believe him.

I find the results stunning in BW while using the original inks and the RIP by quadtonerip.

Best
    Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

The valve that swiches mat/photo ink should also be cleaned from time to time.

Andreas

I have not found any directions on how to remove the valve to clean it? Any references on this would be appreciated, a video perhaps?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Hi Sandy,
    Here is a page on the InkjetMall forum where I and some other have posted the procedure (nearly ten years ago).
    You will also need a service manual. Once the covers are removed, you access the ink assembly (do not remove the printer head itself).
    Good luck !
    Andreas

With the newer Epson Pro printers you do not have to go through the whole ink change procedure for matte and glossy inks. I'm guessing they got rid of the valve.