Thread: 4 x 4 back for Linhof M679

4 x 4 back for Linhof M679

Just getting started on this, so nothing to show yet. I have a metal adapter plate that mounts into the 679 back (or front for that matter, but then I'd have to mount the lens on the back and focus with my left hand...) and a couple of Graflock backs so now I have to 1) cut a bigger opening in the adapter plate, and 2) conjure up a 3D printed adapter to put between them. Open to any suggestions.

I'm thinking that arranging the back in "landscape" position would work best to avoid potential issues with rear tilt, but haven't measured enough to know if it really matters. (I know, I know, landscape vs portrait for 4 x 4 is sort of like complaining about why my Hassy V doesn't have a tripod socket on the side. Come to think of it, though, I sometimes do use it on its side when I want an eye level perspective and don't want to use the prism finder.)

Re: 4 x 4 back for Linhof M679

I belong to a small sort of Plaubel Makiflex User Group, and we have inquired with Grimes, after looking at a "stock" Graflock Adapter they did say it would need to be a combo of 3D printed, as well as some parts cut on their CNC. Sort of a similar project I guess.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

The good news is that I have an adapter plate blank that latches into the 679 so I don't have to fool with that part of it. There's a Chinese outfit that makes these adapters for most every camera back you can think of and lists them on ebay (Jieyang IIRC) I have a Hassy back adapter and a Mamiya 645 adapter which is how I mount the Phase One back on the camera. I asked them for just a plain blank with no back attach hardware - it took a while and a few emails before they really understood what I wanted, but once they got the idea they turned one out pretty quickly. So basically all I (think) I need is a flat plate that will extend out far enough past the rear frame to fasten the back on. I'll have to cut out the center of the blank, but I have a scroll saw with metal cutting spiral blades so it shouldn't be too hard. I could probably also just chuck a mill bit in the drill press and do the same thing - not ideal, but for a simple one time job probably OK.

They even make adapters for the Fuji GX680 to M645, Hassy, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5048 (1).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	244002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackprint S (1).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	244001

I sanded off the black paint on the edges of one of the spare Technika backs that I had in my parts box, including any protrusions That left nice shiny metal so when I scanned the back with my Brother MFC I got a sort of blackprint which I then inverted in GIMP and saved as a JPG. Next step will be to load the image into my favorite CAD package (Rhino) and scale it to dimensioned size to use it as a base to build the 3d model of the interposer plate (with appropriate cutouts) that will go between the Linhof back and the rear M679 adapter plate - have to cut a hole in the adapter about 8.4mm square first of course. My 3D printer only builds on a 6 x 10 platen so I'll have to make the interposer as 2 or3 pieces and glue them together.

The scan isn't all that precise so I'll have to use somewhat sloppy tolerances - maybe +/- 0.3 to 0.5mm. I'll also locate the small screw holes in the interposer and use them as drilling guides after gluing it to the back, and later to the adapter blank.

Why do you want a superslide back on your Linhof, slide projection?
    These projectors are no more made and hard to find used, unless you can find a Kodak Carrousel but then you need the right condensor and to adjust the bulb.

I just want to use 4 x 5 film on the camera so I can get the largest square image it can produce and also use my Vario film holder for 6 x 9 and other sizes on roll film without needing a lot of pricey adapter plates. I have the 3D printer and other parts I need so why not? No interest in slide projection.

Ah, these are Imperial measures not Metric, when I saw the title I thought it was Superslide's 4x4 (36x36mm) which is the standard designation for Superslide (see Hasselblad's S16 back).
    And Linhof's M679 is a medium format camera too...

Sorry for my misinterpretation, and do disregard my previous post.

No problem! I didn't know about the superslide designation.