Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems in Processed 4x5 Film

Re: Problems in Processed 4x5 Film

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheet film holder.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	243949
    Seeing sheet film holders like this one I found for sale online makes me think its a lab problem. Perhaps someone isn't using the holders correctly?
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by timhussin View Post
    I've been using this camera and the holders for the better part of 10 years now, and never have seen this issue come up. That's why I thought it was the lab, but they said they do not know what part of their process could be causing that. They use dip and dunk method but don't do too much 4x5. The emulsion on the negative looks like it is missing in those spots. I'm attaching two more instances of this problem from the last batch I just got back. I used to develop my own but haven't for years. I'm going to start doing it at a local community darkroom here in Asheville, to at least eliminate that variable. Attachment 243936Attachment 243940
    Thanks for the feedback regarding your experience. Since you've been doing this for 10 years with the same equipment, you'd definitely recognize the common problems. This definitely isn't common, and very unusual. The most likely source is probably the lab, as seems the general consensus. Deyoung's picture of some dip n' dunk racks looks like a likely scenario.

One other thing that could be happening is an actual defect in the film. Normally, I would say this is extremely unlikely with Ilford products, but there's been an issue with Ilford HP5 light leaks for 35mm that's been talked about over at Photrio https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...d-film.201108/. Ilford has admitted that it is potentially their fault, but have been "quiet" about addressing the issue publicly. To me, this indicates that their production quality can't be fully trusted.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

A backlit photo of the negative would be helpful. If you don't have a light table, just pull up a blank page on your computer screen and photograph the negative against that.

Doremus

A local lab switched to a dip-and-dunk system a few years ago and had this very same problem. Ask how they are processing and you'll find the answer.