Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 40 or 42 inch rolls of silver fibre paper

Re: 40 or 42 inch rolls of silver fibre paper

Might it not be simpler to cut down rolls of paper with a handsaw? Maybe something like this with relatively fine teeth? https://garrettwade.com/product/11-r...scut-ryoba-saw

No sparks from a motor and you can work slowly and carefully—safer in dim light,

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Might it not be simpler to cut down rolls of paper with a handsaw? Maybe something like this with relatively fine teeth? https://garrettwade.com/product/11-r...scut-ryoba-saw

No sparks from a motor and you can work slowly and carefully—safer in dim light,
    Not a bad idea as well make a jig for it so it cuts. I have some really good young McGyuivers around me who would be up to try this, I remember when I first did this on a table saw we wrapped with paper and tape the are we cut, the fibres were not problematic. Like I said
    I am afraid of saws so this type of solution has always been a kind of last resort. Years ago there were companies in my industry that would cut down rolls to specific sizes.
    I may also be looking for a Roll easel to handle this problem..

Bob

Just a random thought, Bob, but have you asked Ilford if they would cut a roll down for you? Who knows?

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Just a random thought, Bob, but have you asked Ilford if they would cut a roll down for you? Who knows?

Doremus
    The Canadian distributer asked them apparently and they said no.

multiplex

photo warehouse in Oxnard California might have suggestions for you or give you a good way to cut a long roll down to size. they used to cut and sell master rolls back in the day ..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post

Problem I see with a hand saw is keeping a right angle to the cut to avoid a wavy edge on the roll. It can be done but it takes a lot of practice. Now if one builds a miter box to use as a guide it should work. I'd use a fine tooth saw, maybe even one of the Japanese saws - very thin kerf and fine tooth. Cuts on the pull stroke.

Despite disparaging table saws I have one that would do the job safely because it has an auxiliary table that attaches to the sliding table and has adjustable stops up to about 9 feet. Machine weighs over 3000 pounds so it won't fall over. I've had that happen when cutting heavy stock with other saws.

I agree a miter box is the way to go, and a fine tooth saw to cut with. Easy to pack away when not needed. How big is the the roll? Might need a good sized saw to get a decent stroke length. Miter box should probably have a closed end for the roll to butt against to keep the cut consistent.

Sawing is the worst idea... Will throw a cloud of paper dust over everything and the roll...

Cutting with a razor knife, large cutter, or just working with the oversize some way is needed... And too much pre-handling will create dimples and creases beforehand...

Steve K

https://www.yys-machinery.com/produc...tting-machine/

There are circular saw blades made specifically for cutting roll paper by the way - actually more of a circular knife.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Sawing is the worst idea... Will throw a cloud of paper dust over everything and the roll...

Cutting with a razor knife, large cutter, or just working with the oversize some way is needed... And too much pre-handling will create dimples and creases beforehand...

Steve K
    I have already done this in the past and it worked very well, I am just afraid of saws but I have friends who are not and very skilled.