I will be going to Italia shortly and I was not planning on taking my 4x5 gear but at the last minute am seriously considering. I will carry my camera, lenses and film with me as carry on. My main concern is the film. From the US Transportation Security Administration web page they state
"If the same roll of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage screening equipment (X-ray) more than 5 times."
What are anybodys experiences on this, especially going US to Europe and back. How do they hand check sheet film? Do they actually open the boxes in a light safe way to feel them and if so what about them getting dirt and finger prints on the film? My flight route will take three connections going and back so that makes 6 possible x-ray so I think this will be an issue. Also does any one know if they allow hand inspection of film at the airports in Rome, Fiumicino? What are their procedures?
The film I will be taking is Fuji Astia and Ilford HP5. Should I try to process my film it Italy before returning? If so who knows of a reliable place. The closest big city in the areas I am heading to would be Rome. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.