Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permethrin on camera case?

Permethrin on camera case?

I have an opportunity to go photographing on an estate where I know deer and other critters roam. It's not tick season, but the weather is mid-70s. Is it OK to spray permethrin on my camera bag as well as lower clothes? I'll be laying my bag down in fields, etc. My 4x5 bag is nylon; MF bag is canvas.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Permethrin on camera case?

You can but I'd expect residual to build up over time. You can also spray the area. I've photographed in some pretty nasty areas and never had anything in my case. Common practice is to tuck your pants in your socks and spray up to your knees then any exposed areas. If you can wash your case then it would be ok to spray it as well.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Interesting that you should ask… recently did some research on that topic because our lawn developed an infestation of biting midges.

It is generally acknowledged as rather safe stuff when used in moderation, even if one is pregnant or breastfeeding. I wait until I start getting bit before using it, just to be safe. Not sure why the camera bag needs to be sprayed but it couldn’t hurt.

What do the instructions on the permethrin can say? Call the manufacturer and ask them. If you find out, would you post the answer here because I;ve been thinking about that too.

Also, let the permethrin dry before putting the clothes on. I have clothes that were impregnated by the manufacturer - good for 70 washings. Better than the two weeks and two washings with your own spray-on can.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

There are many authoratative statements on this product available via internet, including CDC, etc.

What’s less clear are the probable synonyms and trade names for that product.

Drew Wiley

The permethrin might hold onto permeable canvas fabric, probably not nylon. I just wouldn't do it myself to any camera accessory. No telling what else is in the spray can, propellent-wise, that might cause an issue. Personal protection from ticks is another issue. I do check everything when returning from tick-infested trails, or even multiple times during a walk if I happen to brush up against the kind of foliage or tall grass they cling to - the outside of my backpack, my pant legs and cuffs especially. Permetrin spray cans are a bit pricey, and allegedly so-so effective. You might look at the pre-treated versions of clothing. But at least it's an option to DEET, which can outright ruin anything leather or plastic.

Ticks are serious.. I've seen them year round in Maine.
    I also use garlic spray for my yard.
    On my clothes / skin I use lemon-eucalyptus oil spray; some insect repellent companies sell it as a deet alternative. It has not been a problem for my clothing or skin.
    I'm sure a deet based product would work well too.

Drew Wiley

NEVER let DEET touch anything touch camera related, not even accidentally via your fingers, or even poly coated tent or rainwear fabric. There are all kinds of horror stories about DEET in that respect, some which I could tell you from personal experience. It is more effective than Permethrin until it fully evaporates in an hour or two, but it can outright ruin certain kinds of gear if you're not careful. But not every alternative repellant is ideal. I well remember how Off brand spray repellent did do a good job at keeping mosquitoes away, but at the same time, actually attracted biting flies, including big nasty horse flies! I never found Citronella oil to be particularly effective, but some people prefer that.

I have 97% nylon pants from ExOfficio that has the permeant permethrin impregnated by Insect Shield, good for 70 washings. I don't know how they do it nor whether can permethrin spray will work on your nylon. Note that Insect Shield will also impregnate your clothes. You send them a batch and they impregnate them and return them to you. Either on a per piece or full batch arrangement. Call them and ask about your bag. Let us know what they say.
    https://www.insectshield.com/collect...nd%20-%20Exact

Thanks, all. I don't traipse around in the great outdoors that much, but my daughter's decade-plus experience with extreme Lyme and Co. is enough to keep me very cautious.

Alan, I'd seen the insectshild site before; I've bookmarked it now.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/