Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Mount View Camera Lenses to Lensboards

Lightbulb How to Mount View Camera Lenses to Lensboards

I recently ordered a lens mounting flange from a vendor and had to return it due to being the wrong size for my lens, so am posting this to help others avoid the expensive ship it three times syndrome. Comments very welcome.

1. Find a vendor that supplies lens mounting flanges for view camera lenses.

2. CALL THE VENDOR on the phone to discuss the proper flange for your lens.

3. Do not use tables, websites or advice from anyone on a forum.

4. Shutters that are the same but have different lenses mounted to them do not always share the same thread sizes and may require different flanges due to various thread adapters that may be present.

5. Example is my 9 1/2 inch Goerz Gold Dot Dagor on Ilex Acme #3 shutter that uses a "Goerz 2 1/8-25 tpi flange" and neither standard flanges listed in tables for "Ilex Acme #3" or "Ilex Acme #3 - Kodak Type", whatever that means. Is that for a Kodak lens?

Alan Townsend

Re: How to Mount View Camera Lenses to Lensboards

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post

Alan Townsend
    It can be a frustrating experience, unfortunately.

But here's one exception to your advise -- from my website. So this is advise from a member of this forum AND a website.

If you have a Fujinon lens, here's the Fuji Owner's Manual in PDF format showing how to attach Fujinon lenses to lens boards. The info is applicable to many other lenses as well.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/lensmanual.pdf
    Last edited by xkaes; 19-Oct-2023 at 11:19.

I recently ordered a lens mounting flange from a vendor and had to return it due to being the wrong size for my lens, so am posting this to help others avoid the expensive ship it three times syndrome. Comments very welcome.

1. Find a vendor that supplies lens mounting flanges for view camera lenses.

2. CALL THE VENDOR on the phone to discuss the proper flange for your lens.

4. Shutters that are the same but have different lenses mounted to them do not always share the same thread sizes and may require different flanges due to various thread adapters that may be present.

5. Example is my 9 1/2 inch Goerz Gold Dot Dagor on Ilex Acme #3 shutter that uses a "Goerz 2 1/8-25 tpi flange" and neither standard flanges listed in tables for "Ilex Acme #3" or "Ilex Acme #3 - Kodak Type", whatever that means. Is that for a Kodak lens?

Alan Townsend
    Alan, I really owe you an apology. Reviewing this thread: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-and-adapters it looks like i'm the one who is responsible for your ordering the wrong flange. I'm very sorry for the cost and inconvenience that resulted.

From experience I know that Goerz modified the rear of the No. 1 Compur in order to fit some of their lenses resulting in needing a larger than standard mounting flange. It never occurred to me that they might also do this with the somewhat larger No. 3 Acme in order to fit some lenses.

To be sure I understand you, you ultimately talked to someone at SK Grimes and found out that in fact your shutter takes a 2 1/8" - 25 TPI flange, is that correct?

David

Lachlan 717

3. Do not use …. advice from anyone on a forum.

Alan Townsend
    Well, this sets up an interesting paradox…
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Frustration and expensive seem to be synonymous with large format photography at times.

A 6” caliper and a set of thread gauges is really handy. Both can be had for maybe $25.

Rick “necessary tooling for those who play with lots of old lenses” Denney

I make many WOOD lensboards, some OE metal are enlarged

if I need a new lens board

i buy a new round hole saw to size

I have a table top drill press

i set up very carefully with scrap under saw

and CLAMP TIGHTLY with big cast iron C clamps
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Alan.... are you sure that you have an Ilex/Acme #3, and not a #4 shutter? Grimes states that they reshutter your lens into a Copal 1 or Ilex 4. Is that erroneous? Other sources (Goerz) seem to agree that it is indeed a #3. Makes one wonder, though.

What is your "source of truth" on that and the flange dimensions? Something's not adding up...
    In post #7 here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-and-adapters we can clearly see that it is a No. 3 Ilex Acme.

I heartily second Rick's recommendation that every large format photographer get 6" caliper and both a set of metric and inch thread gages. Cheap digital read-out calipers will switch between inch and metric and should be "good enough".

David "feels compelled to buy Starrett but you needn't" Lindquist

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    In post #7 here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-and-adapters we can clearly see that it is a No. 3 Ilex Acme.
    Thank you; that clarifies. Hunting past threads for pertinent information is something I don't generally do. Seems like Grimes might have an error on their "reshutter" page.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Frustration and expensive seem to be synonymous with large format photography at times.
    Are you saying we are all masochists? That pains me to the core!

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by xkaes; 20-Oct-2023 at 09:30.