Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expired TMAX 100 getting light pink negative no image

Expired TMAX 100 getting light pink negative no image

Hi,

I have some expired TMAX 100 since 2013 and thought I would try it. I exposed 3 negatives, one at 64 and 2 at 100. I developed 2 in PyroCat HD 10 ml A to 10 ML B to 900 ML distilled, plain water stop, TF-5 fixer 250 ml to 750 distilled.

PyroHD was @ 70 f for 14 mins
    FA-1027 was @ 68 F for 6 1/2 mins

Any ideas? I thought I would see something.

Everything properly exposed

Re: Expired TMAX 100 getting light pink negative no ima

Don’t know what you did.

I use Tmax 100 120 roll with 2004 expire and it still works. Little grey on the edges from cosmic rays (muons I understand). Info on muons:

https://www.energy.gov/science/doe-e...es%20as%20much.

Re: Expired TMAX 100 getting light pink negative no image

It sounds like they were not exposed (assuming no processing errors such as fixing first). Any sign of a rebate, fogging, or any other non-image exposure?
    Check the shutter -- make sure it opens when fired. If an electronic flash was used, was the shutter set at "X" and not "M"?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by minesix66 View Post
    Hi,

I have some expired TMAX 100 since 2013 and thought I would try it. I exposed 3 negatives, one at 64 and 2 at 100. I developed 2 in PyroCat HD 10 ml A to 10 ML B to 900 ML distilled, plain water stop, TF-5 fixer 250 ml to 750 distilled.

My guess is, if there is no Tmax rebate identification on the film margin, then either your developers are dead, or you fixed before you developed.
    If the rebate lettering is present in the margin, then you didn't actually expose the film, so your settings may have been wrong or the shutter isn't opening correctly.

shutter works no rebate lettering

fa 1027 was feb 27 2021 Pyro HD was just recent never used until now I will try some HC110

Pink sounds like bad developer. I have been developing 4 year old negatives in Tmax Developer and HC110 (syrup) with no issues. I shot D100. Getting ready to work on my Tmax100 an 320TXP which are from as far back as four years. My developer expired 4 years ago too, and it still works just fine.

no rebate lettering
    Then your film was not developed, either bad developer or fixed before developer.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Hi,

What size film are we talking about here? To my knowledge, sheet film doesn't have edge rebate lettering, at least the Tmax 100 that I have used in the distant past and you do state that you exposed 3 negatives. It does look like dead developer which to me is odd since I've used 5 year old Pyro HD in glycol with excellent results.

Pink film base has been a common issue with TMX-100 since its introduction. It's remaining anti-halation dye, and has nothing to do with any developer. I remove it by putting my processed films into a 1% Kodalk bath before washing, but there are other methods that I won't go into here.
    If your films are completely blank, I suspect that you put your film into the fixer before the developer (we've all done it once). Even exhausted developer will show some faint image density (I've done that too).
    On the other hand (I am a Gemini after all) I will quote from the late, great Beaumont Newhall; "A blank he lived and a blank he died, he never remembered to pull the slide!"
    Last edited by Mark Sampson; 9-Oct-2023 at 21:26.