Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikor 4x5 Tank developing issue

Nikor 4x5 Tank developing issue

Hello,
    I just recently bought a nikkor 4x5 steel tank and it has damaged some very important negatives. I loaded the negs with the emulsion side facing in as you would expect but the tank has left marks on the centre of all the negs. Have i done something incorrectly?

Thanks

Ronan

Re: Nikor 4x5 Tank developing issue

What kind of marks? Scratches? If the negatives are streaked, the most likely culprit is tank agitation. Others will chime in with suggestions.

No scratches, just a strip thats underdeveloped then over on both sides of it. It lines up with the suppost section in the middle of the cage if that makes sense.

I agitated the same as i would any other tank? I did notice that a lot of the negs had slipped froward from their grooves and were almost up against the side of the tank but that didn't make any marks.

such a shame to have negs destroyed that i can never retake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    No scratches, just a strip thats underdeveloped then over on both sides of it. It lines up with the suppost section in the middle of the cage if that makes sense.

I agitated the same as i would any other tank? I did notice that a lot of the negs had slipped froward from their grooves and were almost up against the side of the tank but that didn't make any marks.

such a shame to have negs destroyed that i can never retake.
    Really too bad. It's always worth a test or two when using a new developing method. I never use new anything with important negatives; only the tried-and-true.

Your problem is likely one of two things. Either your agitation left a dead spot where development didn't happen as rapidly as the rest, or the film was in contact with the center support for some or all of the development.

FWIW, I've not heard great things about Nikkor tanks for sheet film. I've never used one, though.

Best,

Doremus

Learning how to use the Nikor bird cage can be frustrating. I had the same problem when I first had the tank. It is the emulsion touching the divider strips. If you load the cage with the base up you don't have the problem. I have the film cut outs facing up towards the top of the cage, facing out, base side towards me. I haven't had a problem since figuring that out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading Nikor45.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	242995

Ive had the same thing happen with my Nikor tank. I have the metal band that restrains the negs too, no problem with the negs slipping. I finally quit using it and turned to my Jobo. Much better results.

Mine works fine, but I use it only for 3 1/4 X 4 1/4

It needs VERY careful height setup

So I never change it
    Tin Can

Thanks everyone, I just cant believe it would do so much damage.

Dont see how i could have set it up any better and from what i can gather here I had the negs aligned correctly.

Very sad day.

Have you done one at a time trays

I never screw that up

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Thanks everyone, I just cant believe it would do so much damage.

Dont see how i could have set it up any better and from what i can gather here I had the negs aligned correctly.

Very sad day.
    Tin Can

My guess is that the tank is missing the metal band that wraps around the outside of the reel to prevent the sheets from moving around and sliding out. Most tanks on the used market are missing this part.