Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: De Vere 8x10 enlarger

De Vere 8x10 enlarger

I picked up (well, hauled is more like it) a Devere 8x10 enlarger, model 108.
    Its sitting in my livign room, and I plan on putting it back together. It doesn't look like anything on the web sites that I've seen but it needs a new bellows. Anyone have any experience with these? The folks at the shop where I got it from said it was 25+ years old.

Re: De Vere 8x10 enlarger

the CIA used to use the DeVere 108A/F for 24cm wide rolls of aerial surveillance film
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Vanannan

Hi cyrus
    I use an old Devere 108 which has a four chrome tube column and a Cathomag head, I have also adapted and fitted to this enlarger a 2kw 108 Dichromat colour head from the 108A/F thet Tim refers too.
    I have also just won another complete 108A/F on Ebay U.K. for approx. $500 from which parts are being removed and shipped to me to be kept as spares, if I can help in any way please feel free to contact me at tony@tonylakin.com
    Best wishes
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Lakin; 15-May-2006 at 23:55.

Thanks all -- here are some photos of the enlarger (with the baseboard moved all the way to the bottom and the standards removed)

It says its a "108" -- note characteristics such as the shape of the feet and the number of wheels used to raise/lower the baseboard. I haven't been able to find a matching image on the web, so I can't ID the model.

whoa - that looks like an oldie - this was the one I was thinking of

http://de-vere.com/content/products/de-vere/108.jpg
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Vanannan

Hi again
    Here is my hybrid of the two with some other modifications including extra counterbalances to support the extra weight of the Dichromat head on the old 108 chassis.
    http://www.tonylakin.com/Devere.htm

Regards
    Tony

Well tony it looks like the same model minus the feet -- the rear columns and the head where the "De Vere 108" mark is located seem to match. Is that a paper safe under the baseboard & if so, are there any problems with stability etc? So what model is this enlarger, and where can I obtain a new baffles & other parts?

Vanannan

Hi cyrus
    The enlarger is a Devere 108 the same as yours it came with a Cathomag head which I still have I purchased it from Robert White about 20 years ago.
    I took the opportunity to buy the Dichromat head when it came up on Ebay as I was worried that graded papers may become obsolete and this would allow me to use multigrade, took a fair bit of modification but it has been worth it as the head pumps out two kilowatts of light ensuring short printing times.
    It is a paper safe you see, of my own construction, stability may have been a problem however as you may see in the photo I have braced it with a timber frame.
    Sorry unable to suggest where you could get the parts you require, I suppose you could try Odyssey sales in the U.K. they are usually very helpful.

Tony

Hi cyrus,

I've got the same vintage De Vere but mine's a 54 model - they are definitely solidly built and use good old engineering design principles so should be easy to repair unless there's a cracked casting etc.

If you need any more bellows, Camera Bellows in the UK made all the original items for De Vere over the years and I guess still have all the patterns to cut new ones. I had a set of the main bellows made for mine and they were approximately 55 GBP. You can either fill in the online form with the measurements or do like I did after contacting them, chicken out and send them the old set and tell them what enlarger they came off - it's a lot easier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    the CIA used to use the DeVere 108A/F for 24cm wide rolls of aerial surveillance film
    Suitland or NPIC?