Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod heads

Tripod heads

I just picked up a Gitzo Explorer G2257, it came with a Rationalle 3 head. The tripod seems solid enough for my Linhof Technika IV, but the head is a little light. I have a Rationalle IV head, but it is too big and doesn't allow me to drop the bed to use a 90mm SA on the camera. Any suggestions, a quick release would be nice. My previous tripod was a 1967 Davis Sanford Compact which had very early concept quick release, it is wearing out, I bought it when I was 16, worked quite well with 4x5 field cameras. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Tripod heads

Wow...this is a wide open question because the decision comes down to personal preference and how much weight you're willing to move around. That said, I like a ball head for 35mm and MF cameras (RRS BH-55 for MF) and a 3-way style tilt head for LF field cameras and my Intrepid 8x10. However, for my 8x10 Deardorff I prefer the much heavier (and sturdy) Ries A200 head sitting on top of A100 legs.

Leofoto has a variety of heads (unfortunately, all copies of much more expensive originals) that are reasonably-priced and decent quality.

I do prefer 3 way tilt heads for a 4x5, I may try out the R4, but it weighs as much as the tripod and puts a lot of weight on the tripod. I used the R4 for a short time with a B&J Grover 8x10,mostly doing LF macros of medical instruments with a mono rail 4x5 Cambo.

Leofoto was mentioned earlier. I recently bought the Leofoto G2 head for a two week trip to Iceland bringing my Chamonix 45H-1. It's a copy of the Arca Leveler Core 60 as far as I understand. But to less than a third of the price.
    I canīt compare since I never owned or used the Arca original, but the Leofoto performed amiably during the trip with no hiccups. It may not be built to the same standard and tolerances but it's not a toy and a good and perfectly usable head.
    I wouldn't mind the Arca, which I think is superb, but given the price and performance the Leofoto is a bargain, and a viable option.
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

For many decades an original American made Tiltall has been my favorite tripod for 5x7 and smaller cameras. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds, including a decent tilt-pan head. Recent imported copies have a poorer reputation.

Maybe considered a bit pricey but the Linhof three way leveling head 003663 is very nice. See: https://www.linhofstudio.com/product...Levelling_Head

At today's exchange rate Ģ495 is about $600. If you can find used, that would of course be less though ebay asking prices for example tend to be on the high side too. Linhof & Studio's Linhof prices are ball park as little as half US sellers' and I've had good experience with them for some years.

Just looked. B&H wants $1233, of course at that price shipping would be free (Linhof & Studio charges shipping regardless of the size of purchase. Ballpark in my experience has been Ģ25.)

David

Another vote for the Linhof 3-Way leveling head.

Buttery smooth, locks solid and more than capable of holding my Technikardan.

Mike

I maybe OK for now, I tightened the tensioning screw on the Gitzo R3 head and it seems much better. I also found the Gitzo off center ball head I have had for years also works. If I need rock solid I can use the Gitzo R5 (not an R4 as I said earlier). When I figure out what I need, suggestions for a Manfrotto 410, Leofoto, and other Gitzo heads come to mind, the Linhof is out of my price range even used. When I bought the D&S tripod I have been using (over 50 years ago), it was lighter and more solid than a Tiltall, had a rudimentry quick release, which I'll miss.

Gitzo makes a leveling base GSLVLS which combined with an Acratech Panorama head is a good bit less flexible but substantially cheaper than a Linhof 3-way rig.