Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fit these lenses to an Intrepid 810 (Sinar board)?

How to fit these lenses to an Intrepid 810 (Sinar board)?

Hi,
    I have just purchased my first 810, the new black Intrepid 810. Overall, it seems pretty good, am keen to start using it.

I have three lens that I am keen to use and am just wondering the best approach to attach it to an Intrepid lens board (140mm x 140mm). They also say that it is compatible with "most" Sinar boards.. Not sure what most means..

The lenses are;

1. Goerz Dagor 12 inch 6.8

2. 300mm 4.5 Industar 37

3. 360mm Zeiss Tessar

The Dagor I think just comes in a Copal #3, so that should be easier enough. The other two I am not sure how to approach getting them on a board.

Can somebody please give me some advice? As you can tell from the obscene amount of Gaffa used, it is needed!

The Zeiss 360mm is massive, so hopefully the Intrepid can hold it..

Thanks, much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-7985.jpg   IMG-7986.jpg   IMG-7987.jpg   IMG-7988.jpg  

Re: How to fit these lenses to an Intrepid 810 (Sinar board)?

Well, you're going to have to get Sinar boards with flanges or retaining rings to fit your lenses. I don't know how sturdy the Intrepid 8x10 is, but getting lenses on boards is just an engineering problem. It looks like at least some of the lenses you have have flanges or retaining rings, so you just need to transfer those to a Sinar board. You'll have to get a board with the right-size hole or get one undrilled or with a smaller hole and make the appropriate size if you can't find ones with precisely the size hole you need.

If you don't have flanges/retaining rings for a lens, you'll have to find one or get one made. Think fine-mechanic machinist. You may want a machinist to mill holes in the boards for you as well.

Check out S.K. Grimes website and eBay for flanges, etc. There may be other sources as well; others will add to what I've suggested.

If there are clearance problem with the Intrepid, then you may not be able to use the largest lenses with it; I'm not familiar with the camera.

Best,

Doremus

Before you do anything, I'd strongly recommend that you take whichever of the three lenses is the largest one and "mount" it to the front of your Intrepid. Work over a carpeted surface and use gaffer tape or whatever might work to secure the lens to the camera. Then, tap the front standard struts, the side of the camera, etc, to see how much "jiggle" is induced. Use some movements on the front standard to see if it can even hold a large lens in whatever position you've set. The object here is to determine if the camera is truly capable of handling your largest lens. I would never dream, for example, of mounting my 360mm Fuji CM/W on my 8x10 Intrepid. I use only Fuji A and C series lenses on this camera.

And for some lenses, there are folks who make and/or 3d print lens boards.
    I'm waiting on the delivery of 2 Sinar lensboards, both thread flush, for a Kodak Aero Ektar 178mm f2.5 and a Dallmeyer Pentac 8" f2.9 and to be used in conjunction with a Sinar behind the lens copal shutter.

So, there are options out there if you don't want to go the Heath Robinson route.

Gosh, Intrepid has certainly moved out of the “dirt cheap” group!

If Intrepid says “most Sinar boards”, it is because the real Sinar Organisation made some non-standard version (for super wide angle lenses and “top hat” types) as well as many generic “sinar” board makers not quite mirroring the exact dimensions of the genuine article.

You may need a lens jack support

Look at Chaminoix camera’s solution
    Tin Can

Small town, South Carolina, US

Whatever you do, you need to remove that tape! It will leave residue that will be difficult to remove. Use gaffers tape.

The Industar-37 is about the biggest, heaviest lens the Intrepid can support, and barely so. (I have one for my Intrepid)
    I 3D print my own custom lens boards, and with lenses that I don’t have flanges for, I simply make the hole small enough that I can screw the lens mount directly into the board. Done carefully, it’s quite snug and safe.

I've just received my first ever 3d printed lens boards today, and I must say, I'm delighted with both the quality and precision of them.
    This Sinar lens board has screw threads to hold a Kodak Aero Ektar 178mm f2.5 flush to the board, so it can be used in combination with the Sinar copal shutter.

So, plenty of options and opportunities!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSX_20231003_150255.jpg  

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated!

Will go ahead and see how much weight they can handle..

Overall, for the money, I am very impressed with the new Intrepid 810. I wonder if the newer black version can handle any more weight on the front standard?

Do you guys have any suggestions for a field 810 that is able to handle much heavier lenses?

Also, I came across this for the Industar 37 but do not quite understand how it works?

https://rafcamera.com/board-m80x0-75f

There is no mention of fitting into any standard Copal size, can somebody please explain it to me?

Thanks again!