Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need an extra wide lens

I need an extra wide lens

I have been walking past a building for years, beautiful building. Belongs in the past to a bank, and is now transformed into students apartments.
    It has beautiful stairs and a chandelier. When there was a email on the outside I took a chance and asked if I could photograph it from the inside.
    And yes it was possible.
    But as the the building belongs to the city they are asking if its possible to create large prints of the images (lots of stress now)
    After some scouting inside my 90mm is not large enough.

So I have found this 65mm lens. I don’t have another lensboards. The camera is a chamonix 45F-2. I can place the back closer to the lens if needed.
    Time here is crucial if I order the lens this weekend, it will be arriving one week before I go shooting this building.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/354816359615...Bk9SR6CgmbTXYg

Re: I need an extra wide lens

bit the bullet, to nervously now. I hope the lens arrives on time so I have a few day’s to test it.

Use larger format

I have shot inside bank vaults
    Tin Can

Do you have the Chamonix bag bellows?
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/accessories/bellows

multiplex

you might need a recessed lens board ...

I have the universal bellows, until now it works fine with the 90mm

Got a friend with a 3D printer, perhaps time to start designing a lensboards.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    I have the universal bellows, until now it works fine with the 90mm
    You've probably read that Chamonix recommends a wide angle bag bellows for lenses from 75mm and wider.
    Let me assure you, this isn't a marketing ploy, you can't beat a good set of wide angle bellows for shorter focal lengths. I believe it's money well spent, a good investment for now and in the future. I wouldn't want to be without mine especially from +/- 90mm and below.
    And certainly in the abscence of a recessed lensboard a bag bellows might be a necessity rather than a luxury.
    You would think, Chamonix would have them in stock.

Your Chamonix might use Technica boards, but if not, a replacement is inexpensive. In either case, make sure the hole for the shutter is correctly placed -- Chamonix holes might need to be centered or off-centered a certain amount.

As to focusing, your existing bellows might collapse enough to focus that lens to infinity. If not, you need a recessed board. Check your user manual for the minimum bellows distance and the FLANGE focal length of the lens.

The other issue is front standard movement. For that you may or may not need a bag bellows, but I don't think that will be of much help because I think that lens has a very small image circle. You should check it out. If the image circle barely covers 4x5, the lens will work for you, but a bag bellows won't help -- you will run outside of the image circle with any movement.

Check these out BEFORE buying a recessed board and/or bag bellows. You could end up throwing away your money. Well-meaning FORUM members can be very lose with other people's money.

On paper, there's a few mm of movement available with that lens on 4x5, but it's pretty tight.