Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: epson 750 pro

Re: epson 750 pro

Hi,

I have been looking at the new Epson 700 and 750 after planning to buy the Canon 9950F. I want something portable to drag to a research library to scan photos and negatives usable for 350 lpi printing.

I think the only difference between the 700 and 750 is the full version of Silver Fast and you get a copy of Monaco EzColor. For someone without color management the extra $$ is well worth it since prices appear around $700 with free shipping for the 750. We need the EzColor since our NewColor CMM software won't talk to the Epson.

The wet mount tray is nice but as long as you wet mount in the middle of the scanner bed, you can use a glass or mylar top sheet and mineral oil with excellent results. So no kudos for the wet tray.

If anyone gets some real hands-on use of either of these 2 scanners, I could sure use the feedback.

I want to know that this isn’t a case of stepper motor resolution instead of optical resolution. And that the Dmax is really 4.0 and not 3.5.

Thanks.

Randy

"The wet mount tray is nice but as long as you wet mount in the middle of the scanner bed, you can use a glass or mylar top sheet and mineral oil with excellent results. So no kudos for the wet tray."

Not true on any of the previous scanners because the focusing point was never on the glass. If you ever tried it, as I have, on numerous flat beds, the results was less than optimal because the focus was always off (unless you also put a proper thickness mylar sheet under the neg to get it up to the right level-a pain a further complication and a pain in the butt). The wet mount tray on the 750 is with the focal point on the glass as I understand it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    "The wet mount tray is nice but as long as you wet mount in the middle of the scanner bed, you can use a glass or mylar top sheet and mineral oil with excellent results. So no kudos for the wet tray."

Not true on any of the previous scanners because the focusing point was never on the glass. If you ever tried it, as I have, on numerous flat beds, the results was less than optimal because the focus was always off (unless you also put a proper thickness mylar sheet under the neg to get it up to the right level-a pain a further complication and a pain in the butt). The wet mount tray on the 750 is with the focal point on the glass as I understand it.
    yeah, i agree. i'm assuming the wet mount tray on the 750 is height adjustable? if so it looks like a great convenience.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

this is interesting timing. i'm 90% certain my 4870 just died. but i really don't want to spend $700+ on a scanner (or anything else) right now.

i'm wondering if the 750 pro is the way to go, or maybe just the cannon 9950. less than half the price, and quality that fairly close to the 750 on the photo-i tests.

"i'm wondering if the 750 pro is the way to go, or maybe just the cannon 9950. less than half the price, and quality that fairly close to the 750 on the photo-i tests."

I don't understand this statement. The side by side scans that I see on that test show a clear improvemnent with the 750. Not a dramatic improvement but clearly sharper.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Re: epson 750 pro - first scans

Well, I've got my V750pro running, although I haven't tried to optimize anything, verify focus point, etc. Plus, I haven't rechecked monitor calibration. But, here's a first scan with Silverfast Ai from a Fuji RAP 4x5 tranny at 600 DPI. The original scan at that resolution is 6424x8176, about 158MB, resized here for the Web. The clip is at full resolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BC111800-A01-640c.jpg  

Damn that fabrick looks pretty good. No sharpening?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    Damn that fabrick looks pretty good. No sharpening?
    None on the clip. I do a light touch of USM between increments when downsizing.

Damn - I never realised you were that old ralph
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    Damn - I never realised you were that old ralph
    My name is Ralph Barker, of the clan Barker, and I was born in the Highlands of Scotland in 14 . . .