Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Re: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What you've done, Darr, is call a positive comment a Discussion. It's only a discussion if someone can return their views and disagree with you.
    I respectfully disagree with your perspective.
    While it's true that discussions can involve differing viewpoints and constructive criticism, a discussion about an image doesn't necessarily have to include negative opinions or comments.

For me, engaging with images can be a profoundly positive experience.
    There are countless artworks that bring joy, inspiration, and a sense of wonder.
    When I look at these images, my goal is to appreciate and understand what makes them captivating.
    It's not always about finding flaws or things to criticize.

Art, in its various forms, is a means of self-expression and communication.
    It can evoke emotions, tell stories, or be aesthetically pleasing.
    As someone who enjoys art, I focus on the connection I establish with the artwork, whether through the artist's technique, the emotions it evokes, or the beauty it conveys.

Of course, constructive criticism and differing opinions have their place in the art world, fostering growth and learning for both artists and viewers.
    However, they shouldn't be the sole criteria for labeling a conversation as a 'discussion.'
    Sometimes, celebrating the positive aspects of an image and sharing what we love about it can be just as enriching and meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    There have been many comments about "like" buttons, and generally not positive.
    Being semi-active on Facebook and having used the thumbs up system, I prefer not having it here. A thumbs up becomes a rather empty gesture...especially if one can not give a thumbs down. If we were to go down that wormhole, I'd rather have a 1 to 5 rating system (or 1 to 10).
    A rating system sounds reasonable. Honest and well-informed critiques are far better if the photographer welcomes them. An important function of a site like LFPP is education, and critiques do that well. Perhaps the number of critiques on each photograph should be limited to prevent a prolonged discussion that strays off topic.

I think some may be trying to read too much into our guideline. Just don't go around telling posters what you think is wrong with their pictures unless they ask for a critique. That's all.

Also: we will not implement any system that involves rating and/or ranking Forum members' pictures, directly or indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    ...Why are mine in bold not acceptable?

"I love the natural setting you chose! It really adds to the overall feel of the portrait." but the lighting is too dark in that area if it's the subject.
    Not a positive statement because you are expressing a negative opinion...not facts.

Perhaps something like this would be a great improvement, "I like the way that dark area allows one's eyes to stay on the figure. Was it intentional?"

Edit to add: I had an interesting introduction to this forum. I offered up my first image and it immediately was cropped by other members 20 ways to paradise. No improvements (my biased opinion), but a challenging way to be introduced to the forum. But I learned photography in a university setting where critiques are the norm, participated and assisted at workshops where my work was critiqued by knowledgeable and talented people, and have approached galleries for shows. Many of these were not 'fun', none were harmful, most were helpful...some surprisingly so years later. So I do not mind being critiqued -- but be ready to have your critique critiqued. It is a two-way exchange...be ready to defend your opinions with quite a bit more than "It does not look good to me."
    Last edited by Vaughn; 20-Oct-2023 at 18:19.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Discussing encompasses a broader range of conversations, including sharing thoughts, ideas, and opinions without necessarily focusing on assessment or improvement.
    Critiquing involves a more analytical and evaluative approach to providing constructive feedback.

Here is a simple example between the two:

(1) Critiquing: A photographer shares a portrait photograph in an online photography community.
    Members provide critiques that highlight the composition, lighting, and color balance while suggesting improvements to enhance the overall quality.

(2) Discussion: A photographer shares a portrait photograph in an online photography community.
    The discussions may go like this:
    "I love the natural setting you chose! It really adds to the overall feel of the portrait."
    "The lighting is so soft and flattering. It gives the image a warm and inviting vibe."
    "The model's expression is captivating, and you've captured a great connection with the viewer. It's a beautifully composed shot."

This discussion focuses on sharing positive thoughts, impressions, and appreciation for the portrait without delving into specific critiques or suggestions for improvement.
    It highlights the aspects that the participants find appealing about the image and encourages a positive and supportive exchange among community members.
    Not all critiques are negative. Positive comments are also part of a critique. Portfolio reviews are essentially critiques that might point out weaknesses as well as encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Not all critiques are negative. Positive comments are also part of a critique. Portfolio reviews are essentially critiques that might point out weaknesses as well as encouragement.
    I completely agree with your point.

Critiques aren't solely about pointing out flaws; they encompass both constructive feedback and positive reinforcement.
    I always aimed to strike a balance when giving portfolio reviews for student commercial photographers' portfolios.
    While I provided insights into areas where improvements can be made, I also highlighted their strengths and offered encouragement.
    This balanced approach helps students identify areas for growth and boosts their confidence and motivation to continue developing their skills.
    So, you're absolutely right; critiques encompass a holistic evaluation that includes both positive and constructive elements.

I have seen people add "Critiques welcome" to their posts with images. I'd just leave it at that...simple, and only people who want them might get them.
    And if one sees something about an image that one really likes, they might say so.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

Also: we will not implement any system that involves rating and/or ranking Forum members' pictures, directly or indirectly.
    Thank you for that!

Best,
    Merg

As old man I completed and earned MFA at ARTIC 2001

I took the Live Art track, as I engaged Performance since child

As Shaman, impromptu on street, stage and my specialty dive bars decades before...

My highly paid Professor got a free ride as many did in Europe

My final street performance, MFA ARTIC engaged 100's still unanswered?????

How Will You Pay Your Student Loans?

Everybody wanted to get inside my TIN CAN

1-TIN CAN COLLEGE BiZ card by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

1-1-TIN CAN COLLEGEweb by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I respectfully disagree with your perspective.
    While it's true that discussions can involve differing viewpoints and constructive criticism, a discussion about an image doesn't necessarily have to include negative opinions or comments.

For me, engaging with images can be a profoundly positive experience.
    There are countless artworks that bring joy, inspiration, and a sense of wonder.
    When I look at these images, my goal is to appreciate and understand what makes them captivating.
    It's not always about finding flaws or things to criticize.

Art, in its various forms, is a means of self-expression and communication.
    It can evoke emotions, tell stories, or be aesthetically pleasing.
    As someone who enjoys art, I focus on the connection I establish with the artwork, whether through the artist's technique, the emotions it evokes, or the beauty it conveys.

Of course, constructive criticism and differing opinions have their place in the art world, fostering growth and learning for both artists and viewers.
    However, they shouldn't be the sole criteria for labeling a conversation as a 'discussion.'
    Sometimes, celebrating the positive aspects of an image and sharing what we love about it can be just as enriching and meaningful.
    So you would limit all comments to positive comments? What kind of discussion is that? What if one of the viewers disagrees with another's positive comment and sees it opposite? Are they to remain silent? Should they just slink away in shame for having such negative thoughts? Should the photographer believe that everyone in the world thinks his picture is superb, that there are no mistakes, no room for improvement? Should we all just fool ourselves? What value would the discussion be? Do we want an image site where everyone gets a medal?