Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Re: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

No need to apologize...it is a worthwhile consideration.

We are perhaps too diverse to have an open critique policy. Then there are the fragile male egos to deal with (raising my hand).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I LIKE women!

I wish we had more here

I know I am a weirdo, I dislike many men

I am so weird I wish I was woman

butt too late to change

the end is near

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Apologies, everyone. I'm not currently using Facebook, so I can't speak to the negativity associated with the like button there.
    However, on the getDPI forum where I'm active, the like button is seen as a positive feature.
    Tin Can

Re: What IS ART Photography?............................. Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I think the general rule is no critique unless OP solicits it. I don’t think atta-person counts as a critique so you should be fine. It would be pretty funny if a person posted an image and then objected to someone saying they liked it. “I DON’T TAKE PRAISE VERY WELL!”
    That's it? "Atta boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    There have been many comments about "like" buttons, and generally not positive.
    Being semi-active on Facebook and having used the thumbs up system, I prefer not having it here. A thumbs up becomes a rather empty gesture...especially if one can not give a thumbs down. If we were to go down that wormhole, I'd rather have a 1 to 5 rating system (or 1 to 10).
    Here in NJ when we have photo contests, they use a 6 to 9 rating system where 9 is the highest. Have no clue who invented that system?

Am I missing something? The topics are called Image Sharing and Discussion. How do you Discuss a photo without critiquing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Am I missing something? The topics are called Image Sharing and Discussion. How do you Discuss a photo without critiquing it?
    Discussing encompasses a broader range of conversations, including sharing thoughts, ideas, and opinions without necessarily focusing on assessment or improvement.
    Critiquing involves a more analytical and evaluative approach to providing constructive feedback.

Here is a simple example between the two:

(1) Critiquing: A photographer shares a portrait photograph in an online photography community.
    Members provide critiques that highlight the composition, lighting, and color balance while suggesting improvements to enhance the overall quality.

(2) Discussion: A photographer shares a portrait photograph in an online photography community.
    The discussions may go like this:
    "I love the natural setting you chose! It really adds to the overall feel of the portrait."
    "The lighting is so soft and flattering. It gives the image a warm and inviting vibe."
    "The model's expression is captivating, and you've captured a great connection with the viewer. It's a beautifully composed shot."

This discussion focuses on sharing positive thoughts, impressions, and appreciation for the portrait without delving into specific critiques or suggestions for improvement.
    It highlights the aspects that the participants find appealing about the image and encourages a positive and supportive exchange among community members.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I LIKE women!

I wish we had more here

I know I am a weirdo, I dislike many men

I am so weird I wish I was woman

butt too late to change

the end is near

LOL
    I am happy to be a woman, Randy.
    My best friend is a guy, as I really like hanging out with guys.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Discussing encompasses a broader range of conversations, including sharing thoughts, ideas, and opinions without necessarily focusing on assessment or improvement.
    Critiquing involves a more analytical and evaluative approach to providing constructive feedback.

Here is a simple example between the two:

(1) Critiquing: A photographer shares a portrait photograph in an online photography community.
    Members provide critiques that highlight the composition, lighting, and color balance while suggesting improvements to enhance the overall quality.

(2) Discussion: A photographer shares a portrait photograph in an online photography community.
    The discussions may go like this:
    "I love the natural setting you chose! It really adds to the overall feel of the portrait."
    "The lighting is so soft and flattering. It gives the image a warm and inviting vibe."
    "The model's expression is captivating, and you've captured a great connection with the viewer. It's a beautifully composed shot."

This discussion focuses on sharing positive thoughts, impressions, and appreciation for the portrait without delving into specific critiques or suggestions for improvement.
    It highlights the aspects that the participants find appealing about the image and encourages a positive and supportive exchange among community members.
    A distinction without a difference. What you're suggesting is that positive critiques are fine but not negative critiques. A critique is a critique. Here's some edits of your critiques. Why are mine in bold not acceptable?

"I love the natural setting you chose! It really adds to the overall feel of the portrait." but the lighting is too dark in that area if it's the subject.
    "The lighting is so soft and flattering. It gives the image a warm and inviting vibe." but adding contrast would draw the eye to it quicker.
    "The model's expression is captivating, and you've captured a great connection with the viewer. It's a beautifully composed shot." but her eyes are out of focus.

What you've done, Darr, is call a positive comment a Discussion. It's only a discussion if someone can return their views and disagree with you.

quibble

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What you've done, Darr, is call a positive comment a Discussion. It's only a discussion if someone can return their views and disagree with you.
    Tin Can