Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Critique in the image-sharing subforums

I see many judgements made, AKA Critiques

Of ART posted in good faith

I thought that was done only when requested?

Bryan follows that rule

Perhaps I fail as cheerleader

I offer Atta a Person

if i like
    Tin Can

Re: What IS ART Photography?............................. Rules?

I think the general rule is no critique unless OP solicits it. I don’t think atta-person counts as a critique so you should be fine. It would be pretty funny if a person posted an image and then objected to someone saying they liked it. “I DON’T TAKE PRAISE VERY WELL!”

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I think the general rule is no critique unless OP solicits it. I don’t think atta-person counts as a critique so you should be fine. It would be pretty funny if a person posted an image and then objected to someone saying they liked it. “I DON’T TAKE PRAISE VERY WELL!”
    That's it? "Atta boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    That's it? "Atta boy!"
    In my experience here when someone is looking for help or a “critique” the posted image is usually accompanied with some wording to that effect. Not everyone posting images here is looking for suggestions. They might just be showing their work. What is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    In my experience here when someone is looking for help or a “critique” the posted image is usually accompanied with some wording to that effect. Not everyone posting images here is looking for suggestions. They might just be showing their work. What is the problem?
    Some images I see posted here and elsewhere knock me flat on my ass. I am truly impressed. On the other hand, some images leave me hoping the photographer is enjoying themselves because the end product sucks. It can be especially true for some reason with folks who shoot with high-end, big bucks gear and end up with something that looks like my myopic aunt shot with her Instamatic (yes, I know there are myopic aunts who shoot masterpieces with box cameras, just not mine).

I'm sure I am repeating myself, but if you want to witness a ruthless, cutthroat critique, go to an art school. It is common that at least someone leaves one of those in tears. An anecdote (second-hand, so take it for what that's worth): a photography teacher at a local school would take a sharpie to students' final assignment prints and mark them up with comments (not on an overlay, but right on the fiber prints). Another was rumored to take a lighter to work that did not meet the class criteria (before smoke detectors and sprinklers of course!).

In my own experience I haven’t found (or noticed) a correlation between suckiness and big money gear. However I have noticed - generally speaking - the quality goes down as the format increases in size. Definitely not a popular opinion on a large format photo forum…

As for art critiques, my own approach to this was to seek out feedback from photographers/printers I considered to be at the top of the field. Of course, you’re not typically going to get a light your prints on fire kind of evisceration that way, but honestly I think a lot of that is garbage anyway.

In any case I really don’t understand what the problem is here. Is the name of the image sharing subforum really that confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Some images I see posted here and elsewhere knock me flat on my ass. I am truly impressed. On the other hand, some images leave me hoping the photographer is enjoying themselves because the end product sucks. It can be especially true for some reason with folks who shoot with high-end, big bucks gear and end up with something that looks like my myopic aunt shot with her Instamatic (yes, I know there are myopic aunts who shoot masterpieces with box cameras, just not mine).

I'm sure I am repeating myself, but if you want to witness a ruthless, cutthroat critique, go to an art school. It is common that at least someone leaves one of those in tears. An anecdote (second-hand, so take it for what that's worth): a photography teacher at a local school would take a sharpie to students' final assignment prints and mark them up with comments (not on an overlay, but right on the fiber prints). Another was rumored to take a lighter to work that did not meet the class criteria (before smoke detectors and sprinklers of course!).

"When everything else fails, follow the rules!"

Michael is right about our guideline. We don't always have time to catch every post - if you think someone is repeatedly imposing unwanted critical remarks in the image-sharing subforums, please let the moderators know.

Re: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Toastmasters focus on evaluating a speech to get the presenter excited to do another after the evaluation.

The evaluation goes like this:

Start out by finding and saying something positive.

Then recommend in a positive way how it could be better the next time.

And, finally, give some more positive feedback.

I believe if this were applied to evaluating a photographers work you’d get some one who would want to submit more photos to be evaluated. And the photographer would improve making photographs.Shouldn’t that be the goal?

Re: Critique in the image-sharing subforums

Not everyone that posts an image is seeking a critique.
    Sometimes, they post to share where they went, a technique, lens, etc.
    Please do not critique my work or you will take the fun out of it for me!