Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a Norma

I have a Norma

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	242455

The UPS man brought me a Sinar Norma today, and at first blush I must say it’s the finest monorail view camera I’ve ever owned. I purchased it from B.S. Kumar in Japan. It arrived in tip-top shape. Putting it together was pretty intuitive. It took me a while to figure out that the silver knurled levers control the shift and swing. I was trying to twist them rather than pushing them forward and backward. Also, I didn’t realize that the tripod clamp mechanism has a loose plastic collar in it. I snapped it onto the rail and then affixed the clamp onto it.
    The camera is more compact than I anticipated, which is great. It has a very solid, precise feel, and the focus on the rear standard is butter smooth. Front standard focus is stiffer, but still smooth.
    I bought it to use mainly in my little basement studio, but owing to its compact size, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it into the field.
    Anyway, to all the Norma aficionados out there, you’re right— it’s a hell of a camera.

Re: I have a Norma

Congratulations, Ben.
    I do love my Norma. From shooting through brass lenses to capturing images on a digital back, she always comes through for me.
    Enjoy capturing your art, whether it's in your basement studio or out in the wild!

Best,
    Darr

We few, we happy few…

One thing that really made the Norma click for me was Neil Poulson’s great hack:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ma-8x10-Camera
    which greatly speeds deploying the camera, especially if you are hiking.

Congrats Ben !

https://www.cameraeccentric.com/stat...fs/sinar_1.pdf

Here is a 1967 era instruction book for NORMA. Enjoy! Study it.

BTW it looks like you have a Sinar Adapter Lenboard. My guess is that what you have takes GRAFLEX lensboards, which are somewhat easier to access than the original NORMA boards. They also made one that adapts Linhof Technika boards.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Congrats Ben !

https://www.cameraeccentric.com/stat...fs/sinar_1.pdf

Here is a 1967 era instruction book for NORMA. Enjoy! Study it.

BTW it looks like you have a Sinar Adapter Lenboard. My guess is that what you have takes GRAFLEX lensboards, which are somewhat easier to access than the original NORMA boards. They also made one that adapts Linhof Technika boards.

Thanks, Daniel, for the link. My adapter board actually takes the Linhof boards. I also have a bag bellows for it. By the way, does the Norma have any way to lock the focus?

The earlier Normas had a "locking lever" on the focus knob.

Later vintage Normas don't have the focus lock; I guess they figured it didn't need it?

I have both types, I really don't have a preference. Both work just fine.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    The earlier Normas had a "locking lever" on the focus knob.

Later vintage Normas don't have the focus lock; I guess they figured it didn't need it?

I have both types, I really don't have a preference. Both work just fine.

Thank you! Still acclimating myself to the camera. I’m sure I’ll eventually develop Norma muscle memory after I work with the camera more.

That's great! I've always wanted one, but the time for me to acquire new film cameras has likely passed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

To go from vertical to horizontal, do you remove the back and reattach it, or does the back revolve? The manual simply says “turning the back through 90 degrees” does it, but is there some kind of release lever to do that?

There are silver sliding tabs (with finger holds) to snap and unsnap the 4x5 back, horizontal and vertical. They also made a roll film sliding back (real fast operating) that interchanges. You can also remove the ground glass (it also unsnaps) and put a roll back directly onto the 4x5 Back. If you ever want to add 5x7, the 5x7 Back interchanges with your 4x5 one. You completely unscrew the Tilt Knob on the 4x5 Standard to change it out to 5x7. Both 4x5 and 5x7 use the same Standard Bearer.

Hope that all makes sense?

― Mark Twain