Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is hand check film available at Rome airport (FCO) in Italy?

Re: Is hand check film available at Rome airport (FCO) in Italy?

Wonderful film!

I like your Vernacular delivering reality

with people adding scale

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Just developed a few sheets of film I shot in Rome and they turned out nicely. It is so inconvenient to carry film and go through different airports nowadays.

Tin Can

Thanks, Randy!

Nice photos! Were you there at a time or day that the Colosseum was closed? It looks quite early or late in the day from the shadows. I was there in spring of this year and the whole plaza was crawling with people.

I only had some 35mm film, and departing from the Rome airport I saw that the X-ray machine where I was were an older type not CT scanners, so I didn't bother asking about hand inspection as time was short.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    It seems some airports still have film-safe X-ray machines to be used for checking film and carry-on baggage. It is nice to buy film locally when you travel or are on vacation, but it is hard to find a shop to develop exposed film, especially for film with N-x or N+x.
    Glad that it worked out so well for you. Agree it is not worth trying to buy LF film locally. Last time I traveled abroad I spread the risk in two directions. I had B&H send me a box of 25 sheets of 8x10 FP4+ and then I Fed Exed a 50 sheet box of TMY in 8x10 in a lead shield (extra precaution even though I have been told countless times Fed Ex does not X Ray) along with a Please Do Not Xray and a photocopy of my passport inside to my AirBNB owner that agreed to receive both packages for me and put it in the freezer for when I got there. I received confirmation that both arrived before we started our trip and it all worked out well. In a perfect world I would process the film I shot before the return trip so it would be a risk off event with any X Ray than wanted to use and I could be assured of success with the images I made.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 11-Oct-2023 at 17:59. Reason: typo

Reddesert: Thanks! I was there in early morning, around sunrise time. There are A LOT OF tourists during daytime. It is wise for airports to keep an old, film-safe x-ray machine for checking film.

Ideally bring Bach developed film, but it is hard to find a local shop to develop sheet film nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Glad that it worked out so well for you. Agree it is not worth trying to buy LF film locally. Last time I traveled abroad I spread the risk in two directions. I had B&H send me a box of 25 sheets of 8x10 FP4+ and then I Fed Exed a 50 sheet box of TMY in 8x10 in a lead shield (extra precaution even though I have been told countless times Fed Ex does not X Ray) along with a Please Do Not Xray and a photocopy of my passport inside to my AirBNB owner that agreed to receive both packages for me and put it in the freezer for when I got there. I received confirmation that both arrived before we started our trip and it all worked out well. In a perfect world I would process the film I shot before the return trip so it would be a risk off event with any X Ray than wanted to use and I could be assured of success with the images I made.