Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feedback - Photobackpacker Cascade Film Holder Cases

Re: Feedback - Photobackpacker Cascade Film Holder Cases

I have one in 8x10 and another in 4x5.

I like them b oth. I cannot think of anything I would change. . . .not even the color. Maybe s lighter weight could be achieved with rip-stop nylon, but then it would seem insubstantial, and I'd worry about protecting the film holders.

I understand why a comeback may not be possible, but the line of boxes were brilliant. The only near equivalents came from fishing reel pouches from Orvis.

To get a hook and loop insert board for a backpack the only source comes from suppliers of "tactical" ger.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    Now you are going to test my memory! I had to go back to my design notes to find it. That is polystyrene.
    Thanks for digging that out!

I use the 8X10 Cascade

but use other for 5X7 4X5 3X4 2X3 DDS

11X14 too
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I have one in 8x10 and another in 4x5.

I like them b oth. I cannot think of anything I would change. . . .not even the color. Maybe s lighter weight could be achieved with rip-stop nylon, but then it would seem insubstantial, and I'd worry about protecting the film holders.

I understand why a comeback may not be possible, but the line of boxes were brilliant. The only near equivalents came from fishing reel pouches from Orvis.

To get a hook and loop insert board for a backpack the only source comes from suppliers of "tactical" ger.
    The dilemma is that making the packs in the US is extremely expensive. Making in Asia requires huge growth to keep the manufacturer interested in your business. I do have a small supply of the lens cases in my basement for individual lenses mounted on 4x4 boards. you can pm me if interested.
    Bruce

I have two of your Cascade holders, one for 4x5 and another for 8x10. I don't use the zipper pull velcro, but otherwise these are easily the best film holder cases I have used. Thank you for an excellent product!

I've been using a 4x5, and 8x10 cascade, several lens cases, and a camera case for a while. They do exactly what I want and expect. They will probably out-live me and possibly the equipment inside them!

Bruce...your P-3 pack, lens cases, and 5x7 Cascade film holder cases (of which I have three), have truly been "game changers" for me, and for this I would like to give a heartfelt "thank you!"

...but there is one change I'd like to see made on your Cascade cases (or that you might offer as an option) - which is to sew in those "D" rings to accept a carry strap.

As is...I've equipped one of my Cascade cases with your add-on D-ring/Velcro strip plus carry strap accessory - and while I find this very useful for those times when I want to sling a Cascade case over my shoulder (also works great for suspending a Cascade case draped over tripod legs) - I sometimes wish...that after a case-full of holders has been exposed - that I could simply/quickly re-clip the carry strap onto a "fresh" Cascade case.

Then again...in considering the working/structural dynamics of your existing Velcro strip/D-ring accessory, its likely that the Velcro strip itself provides a bit of added stiffness across the top of a Cascade case - which may actually help to prevent the top of the case from "collapsing upwards" when being supported by a strap. Make sense?

So...perhaps my actual question should be: do you have any more Velcro-strip/D-ring carry strap adapters for your 5x7 Cascade cases? If so...I think I'd like to order two!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Bruce...your P-3 pack, lens cases, and 5x7 Cascade film holder cases (of which I have three), have truly been "game changers" for me, and for this I would like to give a heartfelt "thank you!"

...but there is one change I'd like to see made on your Cascade cases (or that you might offer as an option) - which is to sew in those "D" rings to accept a carry strap.

As is...I've equipped one of my Cascade cases with your add-on D-ring/Velcro strip plus carry strap accessory - and while I find this very useful for those times when I want to sling a Cascade case over my shoulder (also works great for suspending a Cascade case draped over tripod legs) - I sometimes wish...that after a case-full of holders has been exposed - that I could simply/quickly re-clip the carry strap onto a "fresh" Cascade case.

Then again...in considering the working/structural dynamics of your existing Velcro strip/D-ring accessory, its likely that the Velcro strip itself provides a bit of added stiffness across the top of a Cascade case - which may actually help to prevent the top of the case from "collapsing upwards" when being supported by a strap. Make sense?

So...perhaps my actual question should be: do you have any more Velcro-strip/D-ring carry strap adapters for your 5x7 Cascade cases? If so...I think I'd like to order two!
    No problem. I can fabricate one for you. I use 1.5" wide hook and 1.5" loop with a 'D' ring on each end. How about $3.00 each?
    Bruce

I use mine on every shoot. I have two of them and load them into my PBP backpack. I cut down a thing of post-it-notes and stick them in the pocket with a short pencil. I make notes on these about the subject and development and stick them on the sheet film holder, sliding the non sticky side under the flap so it doesn't catch on something and fall off.
    They are sooo handy hanging off a tripod knob. To keep the film holders clean, I wrap each fresh film holder in like plastic wrap from a big commercial kitchen roll/dispenser from Costco and put two 4x5s in each pocket. I really can't think how this design could be improved on. It's a classic piece of kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0129.jpg  
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

[QUOTE=Kirk Gittings;1693132]I use mine on every shoot. I have two of them and load them into my PBP backpack. I cut down a thing of post-it-notes and stick them in the pocket with a short pencil. I make notes on these about the subject and development and stick them on the sheet film holder, sliding the non sticky side under the flap so it doesn't catch on something and fall off.
    They are sooo handy hanging off a tripod knob. To keep the film holders clean, I wrap each fresh film holder in like plastic wrap from a big commercial kitchen roll/dispenser from Costco and put two 4x5s in each pocket. I really can't think how this design could be improved on. It's a classic piece of kit.[

Thanks, Kirk. It is the only piece of gear I continue to make. When it is raining or winter I try to crank out a new batch. I have put them on the LF forum "for sale" site as on a well as on well known auction site.
    Bruce