Thread: Help! Lee wide hood unglued

Help! Lee wide hood unglued

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can assist me with repairing my Lee Wide Hood. I stored it in a drawer in an air-conditioned room for a few months, and the adhesive gave out, causing it to fall apart. I do not want to purchase a new one as they are currently priced at ~ $300 US. I have had it for more than five years, and I can get more use out of it if I can repair it. Whatever it takes to remove the old adhesive and apply new, I will give it a try if anyone can give me some guidance.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Darr

Re: Help! Lee wide hood unglued

Barge contact cement is what I’ve used to glue bellows to frames.

Yup, I had the same thing happen with my Lee hood and Barge worked as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Barge contact cement is what I’ve used to glue bellows to frames.
    Me too.

Thanks, everybody.
    Would you happen to have any suggestions on getting the residue off the pieces before I use the cement?

Razor blade or Xacto knife on the plastic side, slicing between the residue and the hard plastic. On the bellows, if anything maybe a delicate scraping with the blade. I can't tell from the photos if there's a foamy residue on it - that's what you'd want to scrape off. If it's just glue, you can probably just apply contact cement over the top of it.

Probably doesn't need to be said, but watch the potential trajectory of the blade in case of a slip. Make sure it'd go away from your fingers and/or the bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thanks, everybody.
    Would you happen to have any suggestions on getting the residue off the pieces before I use the cement?
    Rub the old adhesive with lighter fluid, let it sit, repeat until it will rub off...

Steve K

Thank you again, everybody.
    Tomorrow, I will get the Barge Contact Cement and Lighter Fluid.
    I am excited to get the hood back in working order.

Kind regards,
    Darr

PS: I will update the progress for others in my shoes.

This happend to me too.

For this kind of DIY repairing (plastics); after thorough cleaning, I used industrial grade double sided tape.

It's the kind of tape that is used to stick, amongst others, (PVC-) cable conductors in (ABS, glass fiber or coated metal made-) control boxes for steering machines and other industrial equipment and resists to vibrations and temperature fluctuations, it's made by Scotch/3M and doesn't harm different plastics when combined.

I do this because in the past I saw that certain glues can deteriorate plastics, particularly when combining different kinds of plastics, and this hood is made of two different materials, one for the bellows and one for the frame...
    Perhaps, and it's a personal guess, is it why LEE used that kind of 'foam material' to assemble this hood.

And when necessarily the sticked items it can mechanically separated, which is not negligible.