Thread: Mark Ruwedel – Paper Used?

Mark Ruwedel – Paper Used?

Hello all,

I've been thinking about the prints made by Mark Ruwedel, who’s work I was very taken by when visiting his show at the Tate Modern in 2018. I love his work, the concepts and places he investigates as well as his approach to image making and series.

I've was struck by how important the photographs are as objects, not just images, which is a quality I so often see lacking in the output of others. Mark's prints had very smooth tonal gradations that maintained subtle detail all the way from extreme highlights to deep shadow, and the creamy / ivory tone of the paper amplified their feel. They were of a look and material quality I couldn't pin down.

I’m wondering if anyone out there might know what silver gelatine paper Mark uses as a part of achieving the look and feel of his prints? Any other process details people wish to speculate on are of course very much appreciated too, like toning choices, etc.

I've emailed his gallery to enquire, too.

Thanks!

Re: Mark Ruwedel – Paper Used?

I also like his work quite a lot. I don’t know what paper(s) he uses but I do know he experiments/tries different things in the darkroom and most importantly he works on his prints - which I think is mostly what explains the qualities you liked. In my experience a common denominator when it comes to what I consider to be great prints is work, often lots of work, and time.

I agree with Michael. It doesn't look like he uses one paper or one process. Like many of us, he uses whatever he thinks is best for the subject -- Paper A, B or C & Process X, Y or Z.

And sometimes, ONE paper & process is not enough. Think Warhol and Marilyn or Prince or Tomato Soup -- many "takes" of the same subject.

For a long time he taught at Concordia University here in Montreal. I think he is still teaching but in California. Perhaps OP could try contacting him through the school there.

The prints I saw at the Tate Modern were amazing, and exceptionally consistent in terms of look / tone, etc. Maybe I'll hear back from his gallery and will be able to report back. It was a while ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy and I can't remember what surface they were – certainly smooth, but can't remember if gloss / matt, etc.

sulphur toners - and especially those that fall into the selenium/ sulphide or selenium/ polysulphide categories - used directly and with aftertoning effects in the wash to create complex split tones - are often ignored in favour of trite insistence on film/ paper/ developer combinations... And in some circumstances, toners will stain the gelatin overall - or people use dyes (even dilute tea) to adjust the colour. Don't assume it came straight from the box like that.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    For a long time he taught at Concordia University here in Montreal. I think he is still teaching but in California. Perhaps OP could try contacting him through the school there.
    He was faculty at California State University, Long Beach and appears to be retired. Some internet information, though, seems to indicate that he still lives in Long Beach. By using online people-finding resources (Spokeo, Radaris, and the like), it might be possible to locate and contact him.