Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Chromega F Dichroic II 10"x10" enlarger help

Re: Super Chromega F Dichroic II 10"x10" enlarger help

I worked with several of these enlargers for many years. Erik Larsen has it right; the neg carrier slides in and out like a drawer. On our machines there was *just* enough clearance for the filter drawer that sits above it.

May I add

most 10X10 enlargers used many different heads

Saltzman had really huge heads

I have the Catalogs
    Tin Can

The filter drawer may have been dropped or otherwise damaged slightly so the handle is too low now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Aligning the neg and lens stage is really simple. Adjust the large nut for side to side alignment and the smaller nut in the narrow slot for front to back. See pic. I’m assuming yours is similar to mine, if not we will need better pics to help.
    Yes, mine is similar! The bolts are really stuck. So, for side to side alignment, is the idea to loosen the bolt and move the head itself from side to side, or will turning it either clockwise or counter-clockwise change the side to side alignment? Which direction would loosen the large bolt? When I turn the larger bolt, not much seems to be happening, but it might be due to loosening it in the wrong direction and/or not enough adjustment. I'll have to use some WD40 and a torque wrench to loosen them enough.

You may have to bend the handle up a little on the filter holder to make it clear the negative carrier or put little spacers under the head so that the filter drawer handle clears the negative carrier. Im not sure of the size screws. The holes should be threaded and you just tighten enough so the head is secure, don’t over tighten or you’ll just dent the head.
    I've discovered that when inserting the negative carrier, i have to lift the handle drawer a little bit in order to put the negative carrier in fully, and then it just slides in. And I figured out the size of the screws for the side of the head: 5/32" diameter, 3/8" long, and a 32tpi!

Quote Originally Posted by pierce4x5shooter View Post
    Yes, mine is similar! The bolts are really stuck. So, for side to side alignment, is the idea to loosen the bolt and move the head itself from side to side, or will turning it either clockwise or counter-clockwise change the side to side alignment? Which direction would loosen the large bolt? When I turn the larger bolt, not much seems to be happening, but it might be due to loosening it in the wrong direction and/or not enough adjustment. I'll have to use some WD40 and a torque wrench to loosen them enough.
    Yes, loosen the nut on the large bolt enough so you can rotate the head side to side. Lefty loosy righty tighty. You may need a longer wrench if your nut is too tight to get better leverage, mine isn’t very tight. When you get the nut loose don’t loosen too much that the head can flop side to side but keep a bit of tension so that the head moves but stays put when you let go so you can use your laser aligner easier. For the front to back alignment you just turn the smaller bolt while watching your laser, it will be obvious how it works.

Yes, loosen the nut on the large bolt enough so you can rotate the head side to side. Lefty loosy righty tighty. You may need a longer wrench if your nut is too tight to get better leverage, mine isn’t very tight. When you get the nut loose don’t loosen too much that the head can flop side to side but keep a bit of tension so that the head moves but stays put when you let go so you can use your laser aligner easier. For the front to back alignment you just turn the smaller bolt while watching your laser, it will be obvious how it works.
    Just so I understand, facing the front of the enlarger, the bolt will loosen when turned left, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by pierce4x5shooter View Post
    Just so I understand, facing the front of the enlarger, the bolt will loosen when turned left, correct?
    When facing the enlarger turn the nut (not bolt) clockwise, looking from the back of the enlarger turn the nut counter clockwise

Not to sidetrack your question, but may I ask what timer are you going to use with the head? I have the Super Chromega F chassis and haven't had any issues working with the negative carrier or filter drawer (which I haven't used, but does seem to slide out freely).