Thread: Copal press shutter

Copal press shutter

I know that with the 'normal' Copal shutters the speed may not be changed once the shutter is cocked nor when it is open for focussing.
    But how is that with the (new to me) press version, when open may the speeds been changed? Ofcourse, changing speed when cocked isn't possible as the press shutter cocks and releases in one movement like a double action weapon (isn't it?).

Re: Copal press shutter

My specimen doesn't mind changing its speeds when open. The focusing opener seems to have no connection to the speed regulating mechanism.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It's always good to learn the characteristics of your equipment. If you are using multiple shutters it might be best to not exploit that possibility on just one brand of shutter and establish a standardized working protocal that includes closing/releasing the shutter if you've had a change of heart on shutter speed.

As a test, though, open the shutter and gently try changing the speeds. If it gives resistance, then it probably is not possible.

Thank all you for these answers.
    A (used) Silvestri SLV with a S-A 47mm in that kind of shutter is on it's way to be delivered hopefully today, that's why I asked...
    Imagine, I couldn't find this answer in (or is 'on-) the net (perhaps am I too analogue for digital info)!
    Last edited by phdgent; 24-Aug-2023 at 22:46.