Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 810MII Front/Rear standards not locking.

Toyo 810MII Front/Rear standards not locking.

Posting here hoping a Toyo 810MII user has any idea, or had similar experience, why my brand new 810MII's front and rear standards do not lock tight into position. When I set the camera up, bring the rear and front standards in the "zero" position no matter how tight I turn the fixing knobs both standards still tilt forwards with the slightest of pressure.

I would rather not have to return the camera as its abroad and would be a massive hassle, and cost, plus having already paid import taxes....its complicated here in Germany!

Thank you.

Re: Toyo 810MII Front/Rear standards not locking.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Posting here hoping a Toyo 810MII user has any idea, or had similar experience, why my brand new 810MII's front and rear standards do not lock tight into position. When I set the camera up, bring the rear and front standards in the "zero" position no matter how tight I turn the fixing knobs both standards still tilt forwards with the slightest of pressure.

I would rather not have to return the camera as its abroad and would be a massive hassle, and cost, plus having already paid import taxes....its complicated here in Germany!

Thank you.
    Maybe washers are missing to keep the screws tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Maybe washers are missing to keep the screws tight?
    It does not look like anything is missing, I can’t imagine how especially as it’s a brand new unused camera. Thanks

I found this discussion. Some have mentioned something about tightening set screws and keep the screw knobs loose when carrying.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...pinions-please

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I found this discussion. Some have mentioned something about tightening set screws and keep the screw knobs loose when carrying.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...pinions-please
    Thanks Alan, I've read it but unfortunately no information concerning my problem.

Both front and rear standarts have zero-adjustment screws. Rear has one, front has two on each side (one at the bottom). They easy become loose, after fixing you better do not hold/transport the camera by the standarts, but only by the bottomplate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToyoM810.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	241251

Quote Originally Posted by rawitz View Post
    Both front and rear standarts have zero-adjustment screws. Rear has one, front has two on each side (one at the bottom). They easy become loose, after fixing you better do not hold/transport the camera by the standarts, but only by the bottomplate.

Name:	ToyoM810.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	241251
    Thanks for your reply. All the zero-adjustment screws are as tight as it gets, I checked those first and they don't seem to play a role in the problem I'm facing which is locking the standards in position.

I'm a little bewildered by your problem so I felt I needed to get out my 810M. The fact that it's the same issue for all 4 knobs makes it all the more bizarre.

Here are some pic's.
    One of my covers is missing so it's possible to see what's underneath.

Firstly, I'm curious about;

1. How much you can turn a rear knob, from the fully open position to the 'fully closed' or as closed as you can get it position.

2. How much physical space or the amount of travel between the fully open position and the 'fully closed' or as closed as you can get it position.

For my Toyo 810M the answer to;

1. Just over one and a half rotations. I used tape to mark the position. It will not go any further in either direction. It's the maximum from fully open to fully closed.

2. About 3mm space once released.

Name:	IMG_7926.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	241263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7928.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	241264

This is what mine look like, all four. As you can see, I can take the knobs completely off, which I understand differs to the M. Tightend all the way the the plastic of the knobs lays flush with the base of the standards.

What I find strange, and I hope I can explain this properly, is that when I do tighten the knobs, as soon as the knob base hits the standard base, I cannot tighten anymore, not even a fraction of a mm, whereby I would logically expect that I should be able to do so to create the tension necessary to hold any two pieces together, does that make sense?

And this of the front knob,

1- Knob detached,
    2- knob attached but still loose
    3- Knob tightened. As you can see, the space between the front standard base and the camera base remains unchanged.

Name:	IMG_7926.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	241265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7933.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	241266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7930.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	241267