Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your sub-20-pound (9-kilogram) LF kit

Re: Show us your sub-20-pound (9-kilogram) LF kit

I recently trimmed my 4x5 travel kit, which is now at 15 lbs:

Ebony RSW 4x5 (stowed in Stone Photo Gear camera case)
    Nikkor SW 75/4.5, SW 90/8, W 150/5.6 (held in Stone Photo Gear lens case)
    Focusing Bellows w/Ebony Loupe
    Linhof 4x5 Multifocus Viewer for scouting (not for the camera)
    Linhof Right-Angle Viewer (top only) fits in focusing bellows for use in bright sunlight
    PocketSpot light meter
    Lens wrench, shutter cable, lens cloth
    Tenba Fulton V2 16L backpack
    RRS Series 1 tripod with Acratech Leveling Base & Quick Release Clamp

--

I forgot to add my Triple Sleeve with three-4x5 film holders.
    They are kept in a drawer with darkroom tools, and I do not pull them out until I load them.
    I have a large Domke Journalist bag with about twenty-five film holders in my gear closet.
    I usually only carry three film holders to a shoot, as I do not take many photos, only compositions that I feel are worth the effort.
    If I know I will be traveling to more than one location, I may bring more loaded holders and leave them in my campervan until needed.

I am a petite female and will not use a bag of more than 20L.
    The Tenba Fulton is a rear-loading bag which I prefer.
    It holds everything I need with room for expansion.
    This tripod is considerably lighter when compared to my RRS series 2, with a pano head and leveling base.
    I also use a Fotopro E-6H Eagle Series Gimbal Head with this same tripod when shooting panos with my ALPA and Hasselblad digital kit.
    It has been an excellent versatile tripod setup.

A tangent but related thought:

While dead weight IS a major issue, there is another nearly as limiting aspect of shooting in the field. . . .bending over or squatting.

For years I have had visions of cobbling together some way to put my camera bag on lightweight collapsing legs to raise it up to around waist height. Sometimes, working in our back yard, I have used a collapsing table from Costco as a work surface. zIt is great o work that way, but impossible to take anywhere.

My inspiration was seeing a landscape painter's combination field case with folding easel and adjustable legs. The whole thing collapses into a compact and manageable handheld case. I had visions of precision cutting/fitting lengths of PVC to support my 25 pound camera bag at table-top height. Bungy cord would go through uncemented sections so they could fold up but be self-assembling.

Extending that concept, I imagined a third party after market add on set of legs for a roll around hard shell Pelican case. There are backpack frames and shoulder straps made for them. Why not a set of legs? Someone (not me) could make a life out of that concept, I think.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post

Linhof Right-Angle Viewer (top only) fits in focusing bellows for use in bright sunlight
    PocketSpot light meter

--

They are kept in a drawer with darkroom tools, and I do not pull them out until I load them.
    I have a large Domke Journalist bag with about twenty-five film holders in my gear closet.
    I usually only carry three film holders to a shoot, as I do not take many photos, only compositions that I feel are worth the effort.
    If I know I will be traveling to more than one location, I may bring more loaded holders and leave them in my campervan until needed.

This tripod is considerably lighter when compared to my RRS series 2, with a pano head and leveling base.
    I also use a Fotopro E-6H Eagle Series Gimbal Head with this same tripod when shooting panos with my ALPA and Hasselblad digital kit.
    Very nice kit! Thanks for sharing!

I really like the camera backpacks but I've always had 4x5 monorail views and never been able to fit the camera inside. Consequently I usually carry 4 lenses, spare and bag bellows, more rail, bellows support, meter, filters and 7-10 film holders.

M.A. Wikstrom

Some excellent methods and ideas here. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

While dead weight IS a major issue, there is another nearly as limiting aspect of shooting in the field. . . .bending over or squatting...
    That is the neat part about carrying the camera on the tripod and the rest in a shoulder bag -- never need to set anything on the ground but the feet of the tripod. Makes it easy to work in water, mud, tight spots, etc.

I have seen set-ups where people hang their pack from the tripod.

How about a four-legged tripod/table? Adjust the 4 legs to get the top level, with a top big enough for your pack and for a mount for a head/camera.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Very nice kit! Thanks for sharing!

I really like the camera backpacks but I've always had 4x5 monorail views and never been able to fit the camera inside. Consequently I usually carry 4 lenses, spare and bag bellows, more rail, bellows support, meter, filters and 7-10 film holders.
    That's a heavy load! But I can understand if you love your kit.
    The camera that I have had the biggest trouble packing because of its shape and, in the end, is heavy (for me) is my Cambo 650 6x12 pano kit.
    It packs in a lightweight boxy case alongside another lightweight case with accessories (film magazine, etc.) inside a PortaBrace Sack Pack. I think it may be as heavy as the monorails I have shot with.

Folding Walking Stick with Seat 2 lbs

I like the concept. many are cheaper

I could use on my short walks

and for a sitter when in I use my wheelbarrow ULF

https://www.amazon.com/Step2Gold-Por...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

While dead weight IS a major issue, there is another nearly as limiting aspect of shooting in the field. . . .bending over or squatting.

For years I have had visions of cobbling together some way to put my camera bag on lightweight collapsing legs to raise it up to around waist height. Sometimes, working in our back yard, I have used a collapsing table from Costco as a work surface. zIt is great o work that way, but impossible to take anywhere.

My inspiration was seeing a landscape painter's combination field case with folding easel and adjustable legs. The whole thing collapses into a compact and manageable handheld case. I had visions of precision cutting/fitting lengths of PVC to support my 25 pound camera bag at table-top height. Bungy cord would go through uncemented sections so they could fold up but be self-assembling.

Extending that concept, I imagined a third party after market add on set of legs for a roll around hard shell Pelican case. There are backpack frames and shoulder straps made for them. Why not a set of legs? Someone (not me) could make a life out of that concept, I think.
    Check out this video at 1:25. Notice how the paint kit attaches to the tripod, any tripod. I don;t know if it;s strong enough. But you could follow the design and cut out a piece of plywood that follows this design and just attach to your existing tripod. Seems like a great way to keep your bag off the grass and ticks as well.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC4

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That is the neat part about carrying the camera on the tripod and the rest in a shoulder bag -- never need to set anything on the ground but the feet of the tripod. Makes it easy to work in water, mud, tight spots, etc.

I have seen set-ups where people hang their pack from the tripod.

How about a four-legged tripod/table? Adjust the 4 legs to get the top level, with a top big enough for your pack and for a mount for a head/camera.
    That is an effective strategy for many.

I am trying to not carry anything these days. My 4x5 kit packs into an old LowePro shoulder bag that gets moved around on a set of heavy duty luggage wheels . . .almost a mini-dolly. When I set up, I would like to be working off the equivalent of a waist high tsblr or counter top. Some way to raise the bag off the ground, and keep it off my shoulder is my goal.

Maybe I should just work at home anymore..
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post

PocketSpot light meter

--

I like it.