Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your sub-20-pound (9-kilogram) LF kit

M.A. Wikstrom

Re: Show us your sub-20-pound (9-kilogram) LF kit

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Years ago I wrote this about a lightweight kit I put together.

A tiny setup that was around 10-12 pounds. I generally give up a bit of weight-savings for some lenses with more aperture or IC but it was just an experiment to see what the smallest-weight but full-featured kit I could come up with back then.
    In most cases "light is right!" Enables one to concentrate on the art of photography, and less on the logistics of an overweight or over-complex setup.

This is 8 lb all in with another camp chair

The vacuum is a chair cane either sitter or me

Printed 4X5 camera weighs nothing

Bags do add up

Very light tripod with spikes, new China, it folds into itself

3 plastic DDS, light meter, short cable release

Tripod goes on my back, very soft light bag

I never use a backpack as I hate them for 50 years

Maybe I got Flickr to work with a Mac and PC

4x5 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    This is 8 lb all in with another camp chair

The vacuum is a chair cane either sitter or me

Printed 4X5 camera weighs nothing

Bags do add up

Very light tripod with spikes, new China, it folds into itself

3 plastic DDS, light meter, short cable release

Tripod goes on my back, very soft light bag

I never use a backpack as I hate them for 50 years

Maybe I got Flickr to work with a Mac and PC

4x5 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Excellent.

Just yesterday I cobbled together a 5x7 kit which happens to weight exactly twenty pounds...which is when I also remembered this recent thread. So here's my (20 lb) kit:

DIY 5x7 "Minimalist-II" camera (recently modified from original, will post pix soon)

Four Lenses: 110XL, 150 Apo-L, 210 Sironar-S, 305 G-Claron, each equipped with a Pentax 20" cable release

Six Film Holders, each in a Ziplock bag

Five B+W filters (green, orange, red, 3stop and 6stop ND's, plus lens adapters)

Zone VI modified Pentax Spotmeter (latest version)

Feisol "Tall Traveller" CF tripod

Black T-Shirt Dark Cloth

4x Closeup Glasses for focussing

The above is my "stroll-about" kit (up to around two miles RT) - with the camera being carried on the tripod over a shoulder with one lens mounted, and the rest of the gear held in a shoulder-bag...a cheep Quantaray from who knows where/when but which fits everything perfectly and allows quick/easy access. In fact, I can perform all operations without the bag leaving my shoulder, although if the ground is dry I usually put it down.

I can also carry the above in my Photo-Backpacker RPT-3 for longer hikes, but this itself adds another six pounds, with another 2.5lbs for the necessary (for longer distances) liter of water - and possibly more lunch/snax and foul weather gear. Yup, the weight does add up when going on longer hikes!

OTOH...if I replace the lightweight camera and tripod with a Layton L-57 and Gitzo CF, and carry all in the RPT-3, the weight goes up to 34 lbs. Add to this the hiking essentials listed and the weight easily tops 40 lbs. Sometimes worth it but a bit much for these aging bones!

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Just yesterday I cobbled together a 5x7 kit which happens to weight exactly twenty pounds...which is when I also remembered this recent thread. So here's my (20 lb) kit:

DIY 5x7 "Minimalist-II" camera (recently modified from original, will post pix soon)

Four Lenses: 110XL, 150 Apo-L, 210 Sironar-S, 305 G-Claron, each equipped with a Pentax 20" cable release

Six Film Holders, each in a Ziplock bag

Five B+W filters (green, orange, red, 3stop and 6stop ND's, plus lens adapters)

Zone VI modified Pentax Spotmeter (latest version)

Feisol "Tall Traveller" CF tripod

Black T-Shirt Dark Cloth

4x Closeup Glasses for focussing

The above is my "stroll-about" kit (up to around two miles RT) - with the camera being carried on the tripod over a shoulder with one lens mounted, and the rest of the gear held in a shoulder-bag...a cheep Quantaray from who knows where/when but which fits everything perfectly and allows quick/easy access. In fact, I can perform all operations without the bag leaving my shoulder, although if the ground is dry I usually put it down.

I can also carry the above in my Photo-Backpacker RPT-3 for longer hikes, but this itself adds another six pounds, with another 2.5lbs for the necessary (for longer distances) liter of water - and possibly more lunch/snax and foul weather gear. Yup, the weight does add up when going on longer hikes!

OTOH...if I replace the lightweight camera and tripod with a Layton L-57 and Gitzo CF, and carry all in the RPT-3, the weight goes up to 34 lbs. Add to this the hiking essentials listed and the weight easily tops 40 lbs. Sometimes worth it but a bit much for these aging bones!
    As I got older and less able to carry heavy loads I've done some serious re-evaluation of what's really needed. From four relatively heavy lenses to two, sometimes three much lighter lenses, with lighter lenses I can use smaller diameter filters that fit them all, traded my Pentax spot meter for something much lighter, and carry only the number of film holders that I think are needed for what I'm doing - usually only two or three.

I find I cannot walk far

however

I may add very lightweight 8X10 Intrepid, LN wood DDS, are lighter

I have a secure cabin, the CCC Lodge has very good food

Fall color will be DIGI
    Tin Can

Axelwik...I hear you on cutting down even further - like with less/smaller lenses as you mention. Indeed there are times when I'll subtract two lenses, all or most filters, and two or three holders from my above-mentioned kit - getting the total weight down to around 13 lbs.

What I really wish is that there could be a series of lenses designed to combine "modern" (and consistent) performance with small size, light weight, and standardized front diameter so one filter size would fit them all.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Axelwik - I'm curious, what are you now using for a light meter in place of the Pentax digital?

Small town, South Carolina, US

Recently, I put together a lightweight outfit to supplement my Sinar F2 and Bush Pressman. It doesn't take up much space in the car and I can carry it easily when walking around. The camera itself weighs 34oz. (2 lbs, 2 oz.) only. Included in the outfit is a Nikon 90/8, Rodenstock Sironar-N 135/5.6 and a Fujinon 240/9 with, filters, lenshoods etc. and 3 film holders. Total weight 9 lbs and 11 lbs if the Sirui tripod is included. (Actually I would use my Gitzo carbon fiber G 1228 tripod if possible.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LtOutfit.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	243234

This is the first time I have ever tried to post photos so please excuse them if not sharp.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lt Camera.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	243236

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Axelwik - I'm curious, what are you now using for a light meter in place of the Pentax digital?
    Sekonic L208. Not a spot meter, but it does have an incident setting. Once I stack up some more pennies I'll probably get one of those Reveni Labs meters.