Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern lubes for Norma?

Modern lubes for Norma?

I just picked up a later model Norma in good shape, but the movements are stiff. I'm sure it's from old lube. The manual says to clean it with petrol and to relube with grease. Are there more modern cleaners and lubes that would work well?

Nicholas O. Lindan

Re: Modern lubes for Norma?you

For "petrol" read Ronsinol lighter fluid. Mobil 1 synthetic grease works well and won't gum up.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Re: Modern lubes for Norma?

My wife (looking over my shoulder) asks the question: "Who's Norma?"

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Made my day! I had to reread the original post and it can be confusing at least...

"Petrol" in the Norma instruction book refers to what has been described as "white gas". Closest thing around here in USA is Coleman Camping Cooking stuff. "Electronic Contact Cleaner" is what I use to clean my Normas. Right now I have about twelve Normas in my studio. Philip Morgan out in California has had an extensive writing and videos too, about safely restoring 4x5 Normas. I do not recommend taking it apart, until you have found Philip's excellent directions. Many in the past have destroyed Normas. It's a highly intricate beautiful mechanism worthy of restoration.

Moly EP Grease (for auto brake repairs) is about the same thing as the original Norma grease. A can of this will last your lifetime. Works good for relubing the basic contact points in the instruction book. This you can easily do yourself without consequences. DO NOT try to disassemble the micro focusing drive without proper instruction. Completely stripping down, adjusting, cleaning, relubing, and assembly is a MAJOR undertaking but do-able and well worth it.

Congrats
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 4-Aug-2023 at 06:42.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

"The Rough Guide to Cleaning, Lubricating, and Adjusting the Sinar Norma" by Philip Morgan is what to look for, it's been a while since it came out

Anybody here still have an active link to it?

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Best post of the week.

Try
    https://s1p.doczz.net/store/data/002...ction=download

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    "The Rough Guide to Cleaning, Lubricating, and Adjusting the Sinar Norma" by Philip Morgan is what to look for, it's been a while since it came out

Anybody here still have an active link to it?

Drew Wiley

Cleaning is the most important aspect. Get the old grime off. Some of the Norma components are basically "self-lubricted", namely, the durable old plastic parts equivalent to modern Delrin. Beware of electronics contact cleaners : incorrectly used, those aerosol cans can freeze parts and make them brittle. That was a favorite trick with bicycle thieves - they simply spray freeze the padlock and give it a whack with a ball pein hammer. As far as lubes go, I prefer something liquid with a solvent which totally evaporates, and containing no silicone.

The choices are different from back when Norma was a youthful fraulein. I try to keep LPS1 greaseless lube on hand. It was the best product our locksmithing Dept ever found, and I've used it on all kinds of machinery. Outgasses reasonably quickly. But remove your bellows before fooling with any lubricant. Coleman Fuel or white gas sounds more like something Smokey the Bear would choose to commit arson. Since cameras are rather small projects, if alcohol doesn't work as a degreaser, I just use PEC film cleaner (wear nitrile gloves).

Before starting any Norma overhaul you want a set of metric allen wrenches and a good set of jewelers screwdrivers. And you have to be aware that there are tiny screws locking other screws, preventing them from loosening; so don't force anything. But once you know the tricks, these are easy cameras to maintain.

To get the petrified clay out of disassembled Norma mechanisms: Elec Contact Blast/Toothbrush, round wooden toothpicks for picking out crap (Drew is right; beware what you blast/breathe!!). PB Blaster suggested by Philip works great on stuck things. And silicone spray on the rails do make for smoother sliding if you like that sort of thing. Some Normas have lived particularly filthy lives.

― Mark Twain