Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Re: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Darr

I read most of your extensive 'Fine Print'

I also like your images

Impressive!

YOUR text is also copyright

The fine print...

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Yes, lots and lots of water and electrolytes. Our annual humidity average is 88%, but 100% happens too.
    Tin Can

I'm not sure anybody has mentioned the Wista 45. I have a 45SP and like it. Well made, rigid, I can fold it up with a 150mm G-Claron mounted. Not too much else to say, it does the job. 210mm is no problem. I don't have a 90, I think you could use it with a flat lensboard, but at infinity the bellows will be compressed to the point that rise or shift might be limited. I have a 75 that I've used with a recessed lensboard and the standard bellows. It works, but is not a great match. If I were buying today, I would look at a VX which is more or less an SP without the geared micro swing adjustment on the back.

After my Wista DX wooden camera was stolen in April, my brother is kindly letting me use his Toyo AX metal field camera. I didn’t think its heavier weight would matter to me, but compared to the Wista, it’s a brick. I’m in moderately good shape for 73, but that Toyo, when combined with the other stuff, kind of puts a damper on hiking far from the car. I’m thinking of getting a used Wista DX. It might not be as rugged as a metal folder, but the one I had for 40-plus years never broke or let me down. But I was always careful with it.

Wista offers lots of great, light, wooden field cameras, but they are not the only game in town. There many others that can compete regarding weight, features, quality, and cost.

Here's an incomplete list:

http://www.subclub.org/toko/4x5table.htm

The Canham cameras are great field cameras. I use an MQC57 with a 4x5 back because it has a longer bellow. If you look at the specs you'll see that they can handle a very wide range of focal lengths with their standard bellow. I don't know whether it is the material the bellows are made out of, the tapered design, or both, but they collapse and still allow movement with short focal length lenses. The cameras are also fairly light and collapse to a compact size. Keith Canham provides superb support for his cameras.

My first camera was a Horseman VH (2x3) which like the Technika folds up into a self contained box. If you want movements with short focal length lenses, the Canham is much better. If you want to use a very wide range of focal lengths, the Canham is much better. If the Technika can handle your focal lengths, it is very satisfying to just fold it up. I like the VH for what it does, but it showed me that the compromises of the Technika style cameras are not for me.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    While not a traditional field camera per se, how about a Canham DLC45-2?

How would that compare, for field use, with a Technika?

I would second this recommendation. I picked up a used Wista 45SP about five years ago, and quite like it. It is a rugged little thing, sturdy in its own way, and I find that I can easily use my 90mm, 150mm, 240mm, and even the g-claron 305mm (as long as I'm not too close to my subject). At the extreme ends I have little room for movements, but that's ok, I have the vastly heavier Horseman L45 when I need more complete control. I also find it quite easy to carry in a small-ish backpack with 3-4 lenses and the same number of film holders. I can't make a comparative evaluation among the cameras mentioned in the OP, but the Wista 45SP is a perfectly acceptable machine that I have quite enjoyed for several years.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    I'm not sure anybody has mentioned the Wista 45. I have a 45SP and like it. Well made, rigid, I can fold it up with a 150mm G-Claron mounted. Not too much else to say, it does the job. 210mm is no problem. I don't have a 90, I think you could use it with a flat lensboard, but at infinity the bellows will be compressed to the point that rise or shift might be limited. I have a 75 that I've used with a recessed lensboard and the standard bellows. It works, but is not a great match. If I were buying today, I would look at a VX which is more or less an SP without the geared micro swing adjustment on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    The Canham cameras are great field cameras. I use an MQC57 with a 4x5 back because it has a longer bellow. If you look at the specs you'll see that they can handle a very wide range of focal lengths with their standard bellow. I don't know whether it is the material the bellows are made out of, the tapered design, or both, but they collapse and still allow movement with short focal length lenses. The cameras are also fairly light and collapse to a compact size. Keith Canham provides superb support for his cameras.
    How is the rigidity of the Canham? It looks like lots of effort went into shaving as much metal as possible off the standards to save weight. For example, does the rear standard hold its position when inserting a film holder? Any other caveats to be aware of?

At this point, I’ll probably go with either a Canham DLC-2 or a Toyo 45 (either an AX or AII). The Toyo, although heavier than the Canham, seems to be more rigid from everything I’ve read, and even though it doesn’t allow as much movements, what it does have is probably adequate for landscape photography.

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post
    I would second this recommendation. I picked up a used Wista 45SP about five years ago, and quite like it. It is a rugged little thing, sturdy in its own way
    Thanks. How do you tell the difference between the various Wista 45 models? From pictures in eBay listings, it looks like they all just say “Wista 45” in front of the front standard.

What’re the differences between an SP and a VX, for example? Anything functional?

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    I have a Wista 45, I think it is a 45D (back micro swing, no front swing) never sure which model it is, Kumar once explained in a thread but I can't find it back. Use it with lenses from a 75mm Fuji SWD to a 300mm Fuji L. It can be folded with some lenses. I only use them with flat lens boards. It is very limited with the Fuji 90mm SWD as this has a large rear element but even then, some rise is possible and it just fits the opening in the front standard. With a smaller SA it is easier. Even with the 75 SWD I can use rise and the vignetting is what stops me before the bellows.

If you need maximum rise, use a centered lensboard because otherwise you loose a lot of rise. The your lens starts in the center of the GG with the front in lowest position.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    Thanks. How do you tell the difference between the various Wista 45 models?
    Wista made heavy metal folders -- RF, VX, SP

Wista made much lighter wooden folders -- DX, DX II, SW

Most people just call these Wista 45, leading to much confusion because they can be very different.

Each has some different features, cost and weight.