Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Re: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

The metal standards flex more than many other metal cameras if you grab them and push/pull. I haven't had any problem with them moving out of position nor any problem with wind. I understand that the DLC was redesigned to become the DLC-2 because the locking mechanism was too often over-tightened.

I also picked up a wooden Canham 8x10. The previous owner apparently had problems with the rear standard. He had put extra screws into it and epoxied it turning it into a fixed standard. Keith Canham put it back into essentially like new condition for, I believe, less than $200. My 8x10 does have noticeably more flex than either my DLC45 or MQC57. The swing mechanism on the rear standard seems to be the weak point on the wooden 8x10.

My experience has been that the MQC57 doesn't have any problems with rigidity, even though you can flex the standards. Because of the smaller size, I believe the DLC would be even better (I use my MQ57 more than my DLC45, so I can't say I've seen every possible weakness in the DLC). If you were working in a studio pushing film holders quickly in and out, you might be more comfortable with a heavy Sinar or Linhof. If you are carrying it very far and making careful use of the film you are carrying, I don't see any advantage in using a heavier camera. The design of the metal Canham cameras makes them very easy to use for a wide range of focal-length lenses without swapping out the bellow or adding extension rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    How is the rigidity of the Canham? It looks like lots of effort went into shaving as much metal as possible off the standards to save weight. For example, does the rear standard hold its position when inserting a film holder? Any other caveats to be aware of?

At this point, I’ll probably go with either a Canham DLC-2 or a Toyo 45 (either an AX or AII). The Toyo, although heavier than the Canham, seems to be more rigid from everything I’ve read, and even though it doesn’t allow as much movements, what it does have is probably adequate for landscape photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Darr

I read most of your extensive 'Fine Print'

I also like your images

Impressive!

YOUR text is also copyright

The fine print...
    Randy,

I appreciate your kindness.
    Your creativity is unique!

Best to you,
    Darr

Darr,

"I always appreciate the kindness of strangers."

Tennessee Ernie Ford, seen many stage productions

Our Shakespeare

Bless us all

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Randy,

I appreciate your kindness.
    Your creativity is unique!

Best to you,
    Darr
    Tin Can

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Rather than get something expensive now and find out I’m not really into it, I decided to take the low road and bought a Cambo SC-2 for $100. It’s in remarkable shape for that price with only a few scuffs and everything works smoothly. After a few months I’ll consider upgrading to something better.

Congratulations on not succumbing to the desire to have the most best right now. Your Cambo will teach you about what makes best sense for you. And, $100 is a low price. You'll probably get your money back, plus some, when you decide what would suit you better.

Drew Wiley

Cheaper equipment is sometimes nice to own in parallel, just in case you want to go shooting in some area with higher risk of theft, or to leave behind in a car when out scouting with smaller format gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Rather than get something expensive now and find out I’m not really into it, I decided to take the low road and bought a Cambo SC-2 for $100. It’s in remarkable shape for that price with only a few scuffs and everything works smoothly. After a few months I’ll consider upgrading to something better.
    That's an excellent camera at a very fair price. Where did you find it? I recently donated mine to a good cause here in Oakland after years of excellent service; I think you will enjoy using the SC-2.

As to your original query, I moved to the Toyo AX which is also a fine camera for your consideration.

The Canham MQC57 is apparently discontinued and no longer available new.

Arca-Swiss

The Toyo 45A has the issue that if you want to swing you have to loosen the rail clamp and so it moves focus when you do that. It also has a tendency to lose the rail knobs on the bottom if you are not careful. Expensive and hard to find.
    The Horseman 45FA on the rear end of the top rail has 2 small ears about 5/8" in length. If when folding you do not put the rails in the correct position and start to fold it, you can bend thse ears, and they are a bear to try to realign. And the realign only works once or twice, as metal fatigue sets in, and the ears stretch will no longer go back in place. Lens boards are quite small on the Horseman, meaning no #3 and even some #1 shuttered lenses will not mount.

Last issue for all three is below 90mm is almost a no go, if you want movements. I had the best one, lighter than the Technika, and more geared movements, the Wista 45SP. I used it to shoot forest fires for my MFA. Worked well, except for wide angle lenses.

Hope this provides guidance.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com