Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Re: Metal Field Camera: Toyo 45A, Horseman 45FA, or Wista 45?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Is the fixed back a different size than the rotating back? In particular, is the ground glass closer to the lens? I believe there is a weight difference.
    Here are photos of the Toyo 45A camera with the reversible back that I sold a couple of months ago:

The reversible back does away with the rotating mechanism, which makes it thinner and lighter than the rotating back. The focusing screen is in exactly the same place on both versions.

Kumar

Joel Edmondson

The Wista 45SP has worked really well for me for quite a few years. Paired with a Fujinon 135 W in Seiko shutter I seldom have need of any other setup but I am in the southeast where normally we need to "open up" the view rather than compress it as is common on the west coast side! Regrettably I am coming to the realization that, at 80, it is time to dispose of my gear and acknowledge that "those days" are gone for good. I think that the SP "micro-swings" is pretty much unnecessary but it isn't really obtrusive so it doesn't bother me. If you are willing to limit focal length to 90 to 240mm the SP or VX isn't a bad choice!
    Joel

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Since the three cameras under consideration are in the 5-7lbs range, what would you suggest in the 3-4lbs range? I started out with a wooden Wista DX at 4lbs, but moved to a Linhof TK45 at 6.6lbs. Stability and precision require a little extra weight but I found it a worthwhile trade-off.
    It seems that the OP might be relatively new to LF and I was suggesting that in a field camera that has to be carried any distance he/she should expand their thinking beyond the heavy metal cameras. There's always a tradeoff, and for my uses much prefer a light weight camera vs. an overweight and over-accesorized beast.

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Since the three cameras under consideration are in the 5-7lbs range, what would you suggest in the 3-4lbs range? I started out with a wooden Wista DX at 4lbs, but moved to a Linhof TK45 at 6.6lbs. Stability and precision require a little extra weight but I found it a worthwhile trade-off.
    I would suggest that for a field camera that must be carried far from the car, ditch the idea of a heavy metal camera and look at something like a Tachihara, Wista wood, or even an Intrepid (a new Intrepid is likely less expensive than a used overweight metal camera).

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    The Wista 45SP has worked really well for me for quite a few years. Paired with a Fujinon 135 W in Seiko shutter I seldom have need of any other setup but I am in the southeast where normally we need to "open up" the view rather than compress it as is common on the west coast side! Regrettably I am coming to the realization that, at 80, it is time to dispose of my gear and acknowledge that "those days" are gone for good. I think that the SP "micro-swings" is pretty much unnecessary but it isn't really obtrusive so it doesn't bother me. If you are willing to limit focal length to 90 to 240mm the SP or VX isn't a bad choice!
    Joel
    I just turned 80 this month and live in the SE also. Don't give up. - Just don't go so far from the car.
    BTW, I have used the rangefinder on my Busch Pressman on occasion for some subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I just turned 80 this month...
    That would be today. Happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    I just turned 80 this month and live in the SE also. Don't give up. - Just don't go so far from the car.
    BTW, I have used the rangefinder on my Busch Pressman on occasion for some subjects.
    Congratulations. I turned 79 yesterday and like metal field cameras but have forsaken 4x5 for 5x7 and 4x10 that can share lenses in the field, but have their own tripods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kardan 5x7 and 4x10 #3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	241080
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kardan 5x7 and 4x10 #1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	241081

We all have our limits -- no matter what age. For some of us, lugging a three pound 4x5 to the end of a football field is quite an accomplishment, while for others a 20 pound 8x10 up a 14er is a piece of cake.

Three cheers to all of you for whatever you are able to do -- in whatever way that might be, be it wood or metal or plastic or.........

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    20 pound 8x10 up a 14er is a piece of cake.
    As the original poster I should say that I fit in the category above.

Fungus, the Sinar F is not really that heavy- but it's rather bulky. You can reduce that bulk, and make it more packable. Just swap out the "F" rail clamp for one for a Sinar Norma, which will make things much more compact. And you can get an adapter lensboard that takes Technika-style lensboards, a common setup that allows you to mount your lenses on those smaller boards. A Sinar is a lovely camera to actually use, and can work very well in the field with those simple mods.