Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low cost new desktop

Re: Low cost new desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I use similar not perfect

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNJ34JBK/ref=emc_bcc_2_i

Paid $160 3 weeks ago on eBay

Selling fast as ice cream

If you like those I would recommend checking out Intel NUC's (for future reference, not that you need it now)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...tails/nuc.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1989...said%20Tuesday.

I thought about one of these a couple of years ago. IIRC there was also a largish USB memory stick sized system that ran Win 10.

I had to upgrade my monitor. Got it today. TV was not great.

Bought same ASUS Pro Art as 10 years ago

Great improvement and no heat!
    Tin Can

If you don't want the low end of new machines, there are many excellent mid-range pint sized computers available for <$200 ready to go with SSD and plenty of ram. They used to sell for big money as business computers. Lenovo still has drivers and BIOS updates available as needed.

Lenovo ThinkCentre m900 i5-6500T 8GBMem I bought an ebay lot of these for $50/each. I will add charger, more ram, and SSD and have some nice computers.
    They have DP out, perfect for better quality monitors. HP makes some similar too for small money.

I am set

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    If you don't want the low end of new machines, there are many excellent mid-range pint sized computers available for <$200 ready to go with SSD and plenty of ram. They used to sell for big money as business computers. Lenovo still has drivers and BIOS updates available as needed.

Lenovo ThinkCentre m900 i5-6500T 8GBMem I bought an ebay lot of these for $50/each. I will add charger, more ram, and SSD and have some nice computers.
    They have DP out, perfect for better quality monitors. HP makes some similar too for small money.
    Tin Can

I bought a 2U Dell dual processor server with 64 GB of memory for around $300 delivered a couple of years back. Runs great as a backup server. Doesn't have much in the way of graphic support though since it's intended to run without a dedicated monitor. I'm running Win 10 on it, although they more commonly run Linux etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
    I think we are somehow on the same track. My idea is to build a user friendly f-Stop timer.

Photoshop will be to much for this tiny computer.
    Not sure PS would be too much for the larger R Pi's. Haven't tried it so can't say with any certainty, but I know that you can run Windows apps on them under WINE. Maybe I can get my wife to buy me a few more R Pi's for my 83rd birthday in a couple of months. All kinds of neat computer sh*t to keep myself too occupied to ever build the exposure unit. I started programming for pay in 1959 but haven't done much tech stuff for a few (?) years now, so this is all for fun.

I still use CS-4 on an iMac.

If I were to change I’d get an app for my iPad.

I still think, for my purposes, the Mac Studio with 4 terabytes and some software for about $3500 is best for the long term (i.e. my last computer). The monitor can be anything else that uses HDMI. I want to take my computer to the hotel room and hook it up to a smart TV when traveling.

I didn’t put all my eggs into one basket, instead using a one terabyte hard drive and, when near full, hookup another. I would number each and have a paper listing the contents.