Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper Washer: recommendations ?

Re: Paper Washer: recommendations ?

The prints from my Zone VI Studios 11x14 print washer going back as far as about 14 years still look fine so at least for that length of time it does a good job. I just sold it on ebay for about $220 or about 40% of its original cost. That makes it the best item of darkroom equipment from a cost-to-resale price of anything I owned. About $3500 of other darkroom equipment brought a whopping $550.

I vote for the Patterson print washer. It uses about one gallon per hour, and that is adjustable, has a basket with dividers that rock back and forth by way of incoming water pressure, holds twelve 11x14 prints or twice as many 8x10. Remember, print washing is a molecular diffusion process, not hydraulic mining, washers that use one gallon per minute are a shameful waste of water, not to mention the added cost.
    Paul

Another vote for the Versalab.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Smile Re: Paper Washer: recommendations ?

I just finished my own print or film washer which is made from an aquarium, total cost of 350 dollars, will handle 11 prints 16x 20 (my intention is to do enlargement 30 x 40 inch) and wash 11 8x20 negatives or 22 8x10 negatives. Plenty of water, will do thorough wash you do not need to exchange water too much. Best washer I could possibly have, made from glass and transparent plastic.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

The verslab is very nice, sturdy (really no way to break it) and well priced.

I have the 11x14 model with 14 slots and it can hold 56 8 x 10 prints (they overlap slightly).

I use a flow limiter at the input to keep the flow at 0.5 gpm independent of pressure.

Get the 11x16 Cascade. Yes it does 11x16. This means you can wash two 8x10 prints side by side in the same slot. Some 11x14 washers are just that - 11x14 and you can't fit two 8x10 prints in the same slots. I also wash 10x16 prints (Full frame 35mm on 1/2 sheet of 16x20 paper) in this washer.

I bought my 11x16 Cascade in 1998; it is still going strong. Last yeasr I added the Cascade 20x24 washer as well.

The Cascades use very little water.

For cheap, the print washer from Fine Art Photo Supply is hard to beat. You supply the cheap aquarium, they provide the dividers. Rather than a continuous flow of water, they let the paper soak (leeching they call it). It works great for me.
    Last edited by Bill McMannis; 15-May-2006 at 17:27.

With a little patience you can find a good buy on ebay.
    A few months ago i bought a like new Cachet Echowash 11x14 for 260$ It is really a joy to use and seems to be well made.

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McMannis
    For cheap, the print washer from Fine Art Photo Supply is hard to beat. You supply the cheap aquarium, they provide the dividers. Rather than a continuous flow of water, they let the paper soak (leeching they call it). It works great for me.
    I have a smaller one for washing film - or rather soaking it.

Their web site doesn't seem to show it any more. I suspect they had a bunch of them made, and when those ran out, that was the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee
    I have a smaller one for washing film - or rather soaking it.

Their web site doesn't seem to show it any more. I suspect they had a bunch of them made, and when those ran out, that was the end.
    Ken,

You are correct. It appears that the change of ownership at Fine Art Photo Supply brought an end to this product. Too bad as it really worked well. It would not be too hard to replicate though.
    Bill McMannis