Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 cameras with bag bellows?

8x10 cameras with bag bellows?

How many 8x10 cameras have a bag bellows? I often want rise with wide angle on 8x10 format - how much rise is built into the Deardorff 8x10 sliding rise on the front standard? (this is because with the standard bellows and wide angle - the bellows restricts rise). I haven't been able to find this listed on Deardorff sites.

Re: 8x10 format wide angle

My old Deardorff without front swings has 4” of rise on the front standard

I know Sinar 8x10 cameras have bag bellows for an option. I'm sure other ones do as well.

-Joshua

Over they years I have only seen one 8x10 Deardorff with a bag bellows on it (back in the mid 1970s when I was a student at RIT). Definitely not OEM. It was a permanently adapted Sinar WA Norma bellows. Dedicated lens was a 150mm Super? Angulon or a 155mm Daystar... can't remember which.

How wide a lens do you want to use? It does seem that bag bellows are less necessary on 8x10 cameras. The only 8x10s I can think of that offer bag bellows are the 'system' cameras; Sinar, Arca-Swiss, Linhof, Horseman, Toyo, et.al.
    I have some on-the-job experience with a 165/8 Super-Angulon mounted on a Calumet C-1 "Green Monster". That camera had a fixed bellows and I don't recall it being a restrictive setup. But that was 20-30 years ago, and I don't know what you have in mind. Those assignments were more about photographing large objects in small spaces, and didn't call for extreme movements.
    My other experience has been with my own 8x10 Kodak Master and a 10" Wide Field Ektar (sadly, both long gone). I had no issues with that setup either.

My Canham Light Weight 8x10 has an interchangeable bag bellows.

There aren't many lenses that cover 8x10 that need short extension. The Nikkor SW 150mm f8 – the most common wide angle for 8x10 – has only about 50mm of movement. The Super-Symmar Aspheric XL 210mm f5.6 has about 100mm. I don't think bellows bind will be a limiting factor for either of these lenses, though a camera may not have enough movement on the standards regardless.

Bag bellows are available for Toyo Field 810M and Toyo View 810 cameras.

Also depends on how close to subject

and IF movemwnts are required

I shoot 8X10 with 120 mm lens

as needed
    Tin Can

I think I saw a video of Bernice Abbot using a 8x10 Deardorff with a dedicated bag bellow - shooting from a tall building in New York. That might have been around the 1970's. It probably had a 150mm or 165mm lens.

loujon

Re: 8x10 cameras with bag bellows?

I have bag bellows for my Canham Wood Standard 8x10 as well as my Wisner Tech 8x10. I use them with my 155 Grandagon N