Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotmeter for Zone System

Re: Spotmeter for Zone System

I have used both varieties of Pentax spot meters. I like the simplicity of the Digital Spot and suggest it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    IMO, you couldn't go wrong with a Sekonic L-558. But, as commented above you don't need a spot meter to practice the Zone System.
    How would you take readings? How would you do Zone without a spot meter?

Quote Originally Posted by cgratham View Post
    Hi Fungus,
    I have the Pentax (Zone VI modified), Minolta FlashMeter III with spot attachment, and a Gossen Luna six that is supposed to do somewhat spot (can't remember the angle). I love the look of the Gossen but have never managed to get it calibrated right, so it's basically decoration now.

Functionally the Minolta and Pentax both seem to work just fine (the Pentax has a smaller angle/finer spot though) and are mostly in agreement (as is the spot meter mode on my digital camera). However, I prefer the workflow with the Pentax as it uses the EV values that I then just transfer to exposures. I end up really just using the Minolta for flash work or the rare time I need incident readings elsewhere. For most of my photography work - where I'm trying to apply zone system principles - it's the Pentax.

Can't comment of the price/value proposition as that varies from one person to the next.

Chris
    The "spot" on my Minolta Autometer IIIf with flash is 10 degrees.

Pentax or Minolta Spotmeter F are both fine - provided the meter has been cared for as these things are old. That’s the wild card. Otherwise a current 1 degree like a Sekonic.

The Pentax is quite common in Zone System circles (AA had one and that’s likely what started the tradition).

My meter is a Minolta Spotmeter F. I bought it new in the early-mid 90s and it has always served me well. Dead easy to use.

There’s fairly comprehensive test data for both the Pentax (ZVI modified/unmodified) and the Minolta, as well as background on standards in Richard Henry’s book for those interested, but the bottom line is they’re both good enough. Not worth quibbling over.

Quote Originally Posted by alan klein View Post
    how would you take readings? How would you do zone without a spot meter?
    btzs?

For something new, and equivalent in price to some of the decades-old used stuff, have a look at the Reveni Labs spot meter.
    https://www.reveni-labs.com/spotmeter

Quote Originally Posted by Rex176 View Post
    For something new, and equivalent in price to some of the decades-old used stuff, have a look at the Reveni Labs spot meter.
    https://www.reveni-labs.com/spotmeter
    I have one and enjoy using it, but... 1) it eats the little button cell batteries for lunch making the AAA battery accessory mandatory, IMO, and 2) it's not really a spot meter in the true sense of the word, rather I think of it as a center-weighted spot. Definitely not even close to 1 degree.

And it’s not particularly useful for those of us who lack binocular vision when using such devices.

Rick “sticking with his best Spot V for as long as it works” Denney

Drew Wiley

AA's original spotmeter was apparently an SEI. It was eventually auctioned off for the astronomical collectible sum of thirty dollars. Pentax spot meters pretty much dominated a variety of related trades, with the Zone System crowd being just a modest part of it. Movie and television studios valued them. I didn't find the Minolta Spotmeter F push-button operation as convenient; but it's otherwise a fine instrument which reads identically to the Pentax.

You can use many digital cameras as a spot meter as well. It will also display the histogram and blinkies where you're clipping.