Thread: Proper forum for alternate printing processes?

Question Proper forum for alternate printing processes?

I would like to share three alternate printing processes with the world, and just want to make sure this is the best forum for that. These are all variations to some degree of other historical printing processes. They all three print from positives, which are more convenient for those working in smaller formats since negatives print to a positive in one step.

First, I will discuss diazotypes, which are not my idea, but print easily from enlarged positives, so became my personal favorite about 35 years ago. Diazo paper was modern blueprint material at that time. You could buy a roll of it at the architectural supply for almost nothing, I think is was maybe $15 for a 3 by 50-foot roll in blue, brown, or black tones. It was thin paper with a yellowish coating, much like cyanotype sensitizer. I exposed in the Arizona sun to 16x20 enlarged positives that I made on Ortho Litho film developed in d23 in a roll processing drum. With this, I made some of the most beautiful prints in my life, although a little on the contrasty side. To develop, roll them up inside a 6-inch diameter PVC pipe and place an ammonia-soaked paper towel i the bottom, cap it off, and a few minutes later the prints come out dry.

The prints were very impermanent, which I liked at the time. I put them up on the walls and they would fade out in a year or so. Instead of crying about impermanence I would simply print them again, maybe in a different color. Usually, I would get sick of them and try different pictures. This was before I could just look at my photography on my nice big monitor to decide if they were good eough to keep or not. This was how I proofed my photography to myself back then. It was even a little cheaper than RCVC enlarging paper even including the ortho litho film.

The three processes I want to communicate are all archival.

1. A simple variation of carbon printing that works using a positive.
    2, A deep relief printing process similar to an oil print but preserves the full depth of the swollen emulsion. I'm talking 1/16 inch of depth or a bit more.
    3. A more experimental process that uses dichromated gelatin on primed paper similar to a carbon print but without transfer. Dyes are used to penetrate the swollen emulsion. I confirmed Iron Gall ink formulations will work here. I did this experiment just last winter.

I worked on these independently, although very possible others have done similar experiments.

Re: Proper forum for alternate printing processes?

You might find something along those lines here;
    https://www.alternativephotography.com/

In the menu, connect and take part...

Very interesting

I am moving that way, into Alt

I prefer you stay but there many are doing variations

We have several expert Carbon Printers

They will find you
    Tin Can

Alan- I would post on the Alt Photo List on groups.io. There is also a Carbon printing forum on groups.io, but Alt Photo is more general and spawned from a very old mailing list I believe. Also APUG has an Alternative Process forum. Facebook of course has an Alternative Photo group but I'm not sure anything posted there is even indexed on Google so it's basically lost to history in a few short weeks at most...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

As Brian noted, the proper subforum here is Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing. If you're looking for an entire forum dedicated solely to alt processes, you can check out the suggestions in the other responses.

Thanks everybody for the answers. I just signed on for altphotolist, so that looks good, will also post here on the Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing forum. This sure brings back the old Usenet memories of alt.photo.darkroom, etc.

I remember a gentleman named Richard Knowpaw (sp?), who was the resident expert 25 years ago or so. I learned a lot from him.

Very Interesting! If you choose to share more about your work, I'd be happy to hear of it and contribute in any way that I can.

I have been making 'traditional' single-transfer carbon prints since the 1990s...basically using the same receipe patented by Sir Swan back in 1864. I am printing with in-camera negatives, medium format to 11x14. While it is enough to keep me entertained and making work, seeing the variations possible is quite amazing. I have been biasing my work toward the use of raised relief, using it to help create a sense of space and depth withing the image.

Image: 4x10 carbon print, Snow, Merced River, Yosemite National Park
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MercedRiverSnow.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Townsend View Post
    I remember a gentleman named Richard Knowpaw (sp?), who was the resident expert 25 years ago or so. I learned a lot from him.
    Knoppow.