Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Nikkor SW 75/4.5 Experience Compared to Nikkor SW 90/8

Re: Nikon Nikkor SW 75/4.5 Experience Compared to Nikkor SW 90/8

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    With a 65mm you can always crop if it's a bit too wide. You can't make the 75mm a bit wider.
    Thank you for that.
    It is helpful for my decision-making.

Kind regards,
    Darr

I have had both the 90/8 and 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW lenses for many years. I've been very pleased with their resolution, contrast, and coverage. I shot architecture and interiors with them until 2009 or so; they were my most-used lenses. Never a complaint from my clients (and architects are a picky lot). I can't imagine better wide-angle lenses for 4x5. If you buy the 75, I'm sure that you'll be pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I have had both the 90/8 and 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW lenses for many years. I've been very pleased with their resolution, contrast, and coverage. I shot architecture and interiors with them until 2009 or so; they were my most-used lenses. Never a complaint from my clients (and architects are a picky lot). I can't imagine better wide-angle lenses for 4x5. If you buy the 75, I'm sure that you'll be pleased with it.
    Thanks, Mark!
    Your input is always appreciated.

I've made a decision to purchase the SW 75 and let go of the 65 + CF.
    As I grow older, I find it frustrating to have equipment that is difficult to find, like the CF, and not use it.
    Thank you to everyone for helping me sort through my thoughts.

Darr

Drew Wiley

I've only used the 90/4.5 SW, along with an appropriate Schneider center filter - one of the very best 90's, and excellent for architecture. Mostly color chrome shots at the time, hence the routine need of a CF. I didn't work much with cramped indoor kitchens or bath shoots, so didn't need a 75 lens at all.

I'll add another factor in the decision -- which has already been mentioned, but bears repeating (or bares uncovering).

With a 65mm f5.6, you are dealing with an image circle of around 170mm.

With a 75mm f8, you are dealing with an image circle of around 180mm.

With a 75mm f5.6, you are dealing with an image circle of around 200mm.

None of those are a lot of wiggle room, but how much that matters depends a lot of what type of work you do. For me, mostly landscape, it's no big deal, because even the 65mm has adequate movement, but if movement is more important, a 75mm might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thank you, Per.
    I have the Nikkor SW 90/8 and 90/4.5 and I am thinking about trading the 90/8 for the SW 75/4.5 but cannot try it our before I do. I appreciate your insightful experience about these lenses.
    How do the 90 4.5 compare with the 90 f/8?

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Both the 90/4.5 and the 90/8 are comparable in terms of construction and perspective. However, the former is heftier than the latter. As for image quality, I cannot discern any noticeable contrast between the two. I have been using the 90/8 frequently for landscape shots, especially since I reside in Florida, with abundant sunshine, but the 90/4.5 I do not want to part with it because of the larger aperture. Nevertheless, I am contemplating replacing the 90/8, a very nice lens, with the 75/4.5 for use with a 6x12 back. If money were no object, I would have them all.
    How do you deal with filters between the two since there is substantial differences in size.

Jeffery Dale Welker

I have the 90/4.5/SW, 90/8 SW, & 75/4.5 SW. Of the three, the 90/8 SW is my very favorite and most often used wide angle lens for 4x5 work. The 90/4.5 SW is a terrific lens, but too much of a good thing size-wise. I only keep it around for low light situations when shooting indoors. I love the 75/4.5 SW but only use it on rare occasion. That being said, when I do need that extra coverage, the 75/4.5 is tough to beat.

On those very rare occasions when I'm photographing the interior of an outhouse, or the cockpit of a B-52, I have a nifty 58/5.6 Super-Angulon XL and skip the 65/4.5 SW.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How do you deal with filters between the two since there is substantial differences in size.
    I do not use filters with these lenses.
    Not even a lens hood with either, as I shade over the lens with my hand, hat, or darkslide.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I have the 90/4.5/SW, 90/8 SW, & 75/4.5 SW. Of the three, the 90/8 SW is my very favorite and most often used wide angle lens for 4x5 work. The 90/4.5 SW is a terrific lens, but too much of a good thing size-wise. I only keep it around for low light situations when shooting indoors. I love the 75/4.5 SW but only use it on rare occasion. That being said, when I do need that extra coverage, the 75/4.5 is tough to beat.

On those very rare occasions when I'm photographing the interior of an outhouse, or the cockpit of a B-52, I have a nifty 58/5.6 Super-Angulon XL and skip the 65/4.5 SW.
    The 90/8 is my most used landscape lens since I acquired it.
    I feel the same way about the 90/4.5, as you have stated, but I may let go of it eventually as it is my least-used lens since I travel with the 90/8.
    I need either the 65 or 75, so I am going for the 75 and will compare it to the Rodenstock 65 I have while it is still here.

Thank you for your comment.