Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the New LF Forum

Re: Welcome to the New LF Forum

Tom, RSS seems now to be advising per-message. Thanks.

A small nit: the <author> text is always preceded by 'example@example.com', for instance 'example@example.com (Kerry L. Thalmann)'. Can this be inhibited? Thanks.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

I've also just noticed that the <author> is always the thread creator, not the poster.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

Funny you should mention the RSS stuff. Been working on changing it back to what it used to do in the old forum. More on that today sometime.

The "example@example.com" is to conform to standard. I asked the vBulletin people about it a while ago. The standard says an email is necessary, but in the age of spam, they just put in a bogus one. Yeah, pedantic, I know, but they have to more concerned about that kind of thing (though in this case I doubt anyone would care if they strayed a bit).
    Last edited by Tom Westbrook; 18-May-2006 at 03:45.

Thanks for all your hard work. Here's hoping time for some photography returns for you soon... :-)
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

Ok, I'm also "thrilled" with the new software/format/etc....

HOWEVER!!!!!!

I can't use it! The beauty of the old site was the ability to search through years of posts and find Frank, Kerry, Steve and Henry's gems. The current search function seems to confuse me (lots of things confuse me, of course). I have been starting from the search on the original home page, then looking at google's cached pages to view the original thread.

Does the new search function allow the same keyword versatility as before? (conjunctive keywords, disjunctions in parentheses, excluded words with "-", etc.)

Am I hopelessly incompetent? Maybe it's like learning a new editor. When I moved from vi to emacs years ago it cost me weeks of productivity...

Mick

Mick - if you're using the Google search from the lf.info home page, I think you'll encounter snags. Those results will likely refer to the URLs in the old forum, which no longer exists.

Try the Search item in the blue menu bar, or the advanced search in that pop-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Noordewier
    I have been starting from the search on the original home page, then looking at google's cached pages to view the original thread.

Does the new search function allow the same keyword versatility as before? (conjunctive keywords, disjunctions in parentheses, excluded words with "-", etc.)
    The "old search function" was Google, no more no less. The forum pages have moved, and Google hasn't reindexed the site yet. When they are done doing so (probably in a month), you will be able to use the old search function again.

Guys,

I have a question. I seem to have signed up twice. I would like to remove one of the names seen in the members list. How do I do that or do you guys need to do that? Thanks,

lee\c

Lee/c you can contact the mods to merge them, just list all your accounts and be sure the specify the one account that you want to keep--the others will be merged into it.

pm sent Tom.

lee\c