Thread: Yankee 4x5 Agitank query

Yankee 4x5 Agitank query

I have returned to large format after 10 years when I had to sell on my 8x10 due to back issues. Boy, I miss that camera. I just acquired a Zone VI 4X5 to begin again, focusing on cyanotype images at first Anyway, I know there are multiple opinions on the Agitank but it is what I have and I don’t plan on putting in more than 6 sheets, separated by empty slots, for any run. As I bought the tank used, can someone tell me what the long plastic stick with two ovals cut in it is used for?

Thanks,
    DV
    Last edited by dvanmet; 8-Jul-2023 at 04:44. Reason: Missing comma

Re: Yankee 4x5 Agitank query

Got started on LF with one of those and still have it...using it now as a film washer for 4x5. That plastic stick with the ovals is, if I remember correctly...a sheet film loading guide. I seem to remember that at either end of the stick, and on one side, there are two right-angled flanges which rest just inside of the film loading side (open slots) of the film chamber assembly, and the stick will fall into place over each slot.

As for the "Agitank" idea...that you'll be getting adequate/correct agitation by simply tilting the tank back and forth - your mileage may vary. Might be better to use it as a dip and dunk tank - but lift very slowly if you do this, otherwise solutions will get carried out over the edge of the tank. Get a good feel for this by practicing lifting/replacing the film chamber "core" with the tank full of water (and perhaps some "waste" film sheets). Good luck!

Thank you, I tried it and I now see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by dvanmet View Post
    I have returned to large format after 10 years when I had to sell on my 8x10 due to back issues. Boy, I miss that camera. I just acquired a Zone VI 4X5 to begin again, focusing on cyanotype images at first Anyway, I know there are multiple opinions on the Agitank but it is what I have and I don’t plan on putting in more than 6 sheets, separated by empty slots, for any run. As I bought the tank used, can someone tell me what the long plastic stick with two ovals cut in it is used for?

Thanks,
    DV
    DV, I use a Doran plastic tank, similar to the Yankee. The secret to using these is to use a very dilute developer (I use D23 1:3 or 1:7). Use three or for short agitation strokes in the same direction the film points per minute. Over agitation is the main problem people have using these. Long, slow, and short is the secret. Long developing time, which is very slow, using a few short agitation strokes. Short means maybe 1/2 inch. Measure the amount of solutions carefully and do not overfill. If solution sloshes out, your being too aggressive. Think almost a still development. I process, wash, and dry my films is mine.

I read that with the Yankee you glue that top piece down with crazy glue to eliminate slippage. The Doran doesn't have that problem.

Alan who develops 12 sheets of 4x5 at a time in his Doran Townsend

I use masking tape to secure the lid, all around the seam, except for the pouring out corner. This prevents the lid from popping open and minimizes leaking.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

As I'd mentioned, I use this tank to wash 4x5 negatives...by inserting a hose into the central column, and keeping the entire film insert slightly lifted off of the floor of the tank - which allows for a good flow downwards and up around the film, although I will still completely empty the tank a few times during the wash, and also utilize a fixer remover step.