Thread: Is there an iPhone-compatible radio trigger?

Is there an iPhone-compatible radio trigger?

Is there a hardware device compatible with the iPhone that can be used as a radio trigger? Ideally, I'm looking for something that can connect to the iPhone via the 3.5mm headphone jack or Thunderbolt connector. As a user of PocketWizard, I'm specifically interested in a solution from them, but I'm open to alternatives from other trigger manufacturers.

My goal is to trigger my Speedotron setup using the iPhone as the camera. While a PC sync cord implementation could potentially work, I have concerns about damaging the iPhone.

I have searched online but haven't found any definitive information. I have explored options like Godox and Nova, but they are not suitable for my needs. Additionally, it seems that the iSyncFlash app, which online2yu could have been a potential solution, is no longer available.

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can provide.
    Last edited by LansoirThemtq; 21-Jun-2023 at 23:19.

Re: Is there an iPhone-compatible radio trigger?

This was discussed before here:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i.../t-143755.html

There are no perfect solutions, but take a look at this:

https://www.tricflash.com/

Won’t exactly be compatible with Pocket Wizard, maybe the best option is to use the above to trigger a hot shoe flash that in turn triggers your Speedotron as a slave…?

Tin Can

There is a device called the TricFlash I have used extensively to sync strobes of all kinds with the iPhone. Also works with iPad. It's only about $60. Basic app is free, full featured app is $3.
    http://www.tricflash.com/

Tricflash works with Bluetooth from the phone and has a hot shoe and PC out. I have used it to sync studio strobes with Wein IR transmitters, and several different radio transmitters. Some of these can have a delay, so an appropriate shutter speed must be selected on the iPhone. I routinely use mine with Pocket Wizzard transmitter mounted in the hotshoe to trigger my Dynalites.

The Tricflash and apps have many other capabilities but only works with iphone because of the underlying open source Free BSD kernel of the Apple software. Here is a jpeg, straight out of the iPhone of photographer Wendy at an open studio meet up before the lockdowns started. Light from two Dynalite heads, one in a converted 10" Castor Fresnel and one from a gridded reflector high from behind. iphone with Tricflash and Pocket Wizzard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wendy.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	239795

it has been around

it will not work for me, regardless

we are coming to a clash

did you read who cannot buy it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    it has been around

it will not work for me, regardless

we are coming to a clash

did you read who cannot buy it
    Some consumers cannot buy it? That would presently be restraint of trade and illegal under US law. You may be correctly predicting the near future, starting in 2024, as some big players in the IT game are joining forces to do away with not only open source, but all X86 software in use by the general public. Their new phones, tablets and computers will not allow reconfiguration, modification or addition to or deletion of factory-installed software or hardware.

Apple will have to go along to get along, as development and support of the underlying Free BSD will stop.

The first question to ask before getting any fone based systemis if there is ANY chance of "latency" issues, where there might be any delay of signal through system (remember you are trying to get EXACT X sync maybe at a higher speed and the sync needs to make contact at that exact time)... Dedicated radio systems worked well, but I have noticed there can be a shorter/longer slight delay when using cel systems...

Steve K

Because the fastest sync speed that can be used with the Tricflash is 1/30 or 1/45, delay from the Pocket Wizzard is no problem. Ambient light has to be controlled for just as if you were limited to 1/30 with a mechanical shutter. You do have control over the digital camera ISO on the iPhone, so you can usually balance ambient light if you have enough flash power.