Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Website & Domain Hosting

Re: Website & Domain Hosting

I am looking around, too. I have one site already, in my dad's memory, which I'd like to transfer to less costly hoster. No idea what that would cost. It was built in Front
    Page, ported to ExpressionWeb, both now obsolete, though I imagine it's basically HTML (which might as well be NOWAY for all I know of coding). Also, I'm looking for an inexpensive option to simply have a simple site for image display and some content respecting possible services such as custom printing and portraiture about which interested parties may contact me. I'm looking to have an available site, not one that rates high in searches for photographers, etc. xkaes says it shouldn't be more than $100/year for a site, but that's not what I am seeing from Bluhost, WordPress, and others, when you see the "renews at normal rate" after first year. Like Kumar, I'd appreciate any guidance, by PM or here.

By the by, I have been told that there are ways to lock photos on one's site. My Flickr site obviously doesn't do that, nor does the one for my dad. Any ideas on this with respect to low-cost options?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I want longevity

1&1 is huge reseller

They are very serious
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    By the by, I have been told that there are ways to lock photos on one's site. My Flickr site obviously doesn't do that, nor does the one for my dad. Any ideas on this with respect to low-cost options?
    There's a setting on Flickr to not allow downloads. It's also simple code for websites to not allow right clicks which is the easiest way to save an image. However, these kind of things simply remove the easy way of doing it. Any knowledgeable person can still download the image. If you can see it, you can copy it.

An unpopular opinion though - I think image theft online is highly overblown and not at all relevant to most. I don't mean because the images are bad, but because there's simply no value in it on average.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

By the by, I have been told that there are ways to lock photos on one's site. My Flickr site obviously doesn't do that, nor does the one for my dad.
    I don't know why anyone would post a complete image file on any open website because all that is needed is a small file for viewing on the screen. Anyone can download any image on the Web simply by doing a screen capture, but it's not going to look great on a wall. If you want that kind of quality, you have to pay. So protection of images is moot.

... it shouldn't be more than $100/year for a site, but that's not what I am seeing from Bluhost, WordPress, and others when you see the "renews at a normal rate" after first year.

$178.20/3 = $59.40 per year

Even my car insurance company offers me a $200+ discount if I pay semi-annually.
    I am not pushing Bluehost as I do not care what others choose; make sure you understand how these companies operate.

IMO, you need to go with a reputable company with an established good service history.
    In my working history, I have seen many hosting companies come and go, some without technical support when needed.
    The internet is a cesspool today. You need tech support, backups, and virus protection on your site.
    Millions of bots lurk on the internet looking for vulnerabilities, and they eventually find them.
    Where will tech support be when that happens? Like everything else, go with the cheapest and get what you paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    There's a setting on Flickr to not allow downloads. It's also simple code for websites to not allow right clicks which is the easiest way to save an image. However, these kind of things simply remove the easy way of doing it. Any knowledgeable person can still download the image. If you can see it, you can copy it.

An unpopular opinion though - I think image theft online is highly overblown and not at all relevant to most. I don't mean because the images are bad, but because there's simply no value in it on average.
    I agree. Most photographers appear to have a somewhat unrealistic idea about the monetary value of their work. But I might think differently if l had photographed Prince and one of my images had been appropriated by Warhol.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Never sell your valuable Art

and I mean that

I sold a few scuptures 25 years ago and highly regret that moment of weakness

Mortensen made one master print with all touchup on the original print

Making his work, One off forever
    Tin Can

The cheapest option (and most likely the most secure option for 99.9% of users) would likely be to go for a static site generator.
    You could set a site up for the cost of a domain which should work out to about $10 or so a year and the hosting limits should be enough for most personal websites I would guess.
    Depending on if you want to work on your site locally and keep the content on your computer/tablet/phone or in a web interface and what kind of customizability you want, you have a lot of options ranging from "very beginner friendly" to "i want to do most of the coding myself".

I’m retired now, however, when I was in business, I used Yahoo to host my web site.

It worked very well for me.

The potential clients I wanted to attracted were working and sometimes would look for a photographer from their work place. No music.

I used the main page of my site to give out enough information to have the person looking decide if they should investigate further. The main page was simple, not cluttered but had links to other pages if they got interested.

It worked for me.

And I enjoyed building my web site.