Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF > Macro options?

Question ULF > Macro options?

Hi All,

Long time listener first time poster (I think).

I’m looking at building a static camera in my dark room for 40x50” tintype. Searches have yielded me several options for that kind of coverage, but I want to go bigger than macro, 2:1 or more. Head shots are my thing and I want to go big.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6585.jpg  

Re: ULF > Macro options?

I have made 3-1, 11/14 X-Ray contact prints

I will post prints tomorrow
    Tin Can

The larger the magnification, the shorter a focal length is sufficient to cover the format. With an image twice bigger than life-size, a 600mm f/9 CZJ Apo-Tessar is enough to cover 40x50". But this way, you sacrifice the perspective. Myself, I avoid taking head pictures with less then 6 feet between the subject and the lens. For 40x50", that means the need of a 1200mm focal length.

I have shot 800 SF and very sharp 900 Jena f9

I had a hole in my DR wall to outside for the 800

Time
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have shot 800 SF and very sharp 900 Jena f9

I had a hole in my DR wall to outside for the 800

Time
    Good to know I’m not insane in my plan to turn part of my DR into a camera haha. I’d love a mobile setup like Ian Ruhter but while I learn the intricacies of the wet plate process I’ll settle for building a partition inside my DR and make that the camera.

Full Disclosure: I don';t know what I am talking about.

OK, with that said, I recall an old technology used in education where a "projection microscope" was set up to project an image onto a screen or wall so that a group of students could all see whatever it was on the slide. This would have been a ratio much larger than 2:1 right?

Can this basic scheme be used to project a larger image than would normally be thrown by a lens? And yes, light will be an issue..
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Full Disclosure: I don';t know what I am talking about.

OK, with that said, I recall an old technology used in education where a "projection microscope" was set up to project an image onto a screen or wall so that a group of students could all see whatever it was on the slide. This would have been a ratio much larger than 2:1 right?

Can this basic scheme be used to project a larger image than would normally be thrown by a lens? And yes, light will be an issue..
    Hmm. Yes, you could use a lens to project an image on a convenient surface such as a wall and then photograph it. I don't see a good reason to do this. The lens can also project an image on a sensitized surface such as film in a camera. The direct way seems much better.

FWIW, the "photograph an image projected on a surface" approach is used by some fanciers of tiny format digital cameras. They claim this is large format photography.

Most of us should remeber school slide show with much larger glass plates then 35mm and MF

I buy some made long ago

or NOS never used, let me repeat NOS

I need a new high rez DIGI wall projector

My last one is too old, 2003
    Tin Can

I just stumbled on this while researching apo-tessars, by a forum member Dr Klaus Schmitt, unfortunately all the focal lenses are too short, but an interesting resource none the less.

http://www.macrolenses.de/

Does anyone have any information regarding the close focus of the big apo-Tessars? 900/9 and 1200/11

How long ago did you go to school? ;-)

Found this one from the late 1800’s

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_V61.html