Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hello! New here, requesting help with camera

Re: Hello! New here, requesting help with camera

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    That's a Studio Camera Stand. Every studio needs a good camera stand. I see you have the base section above ^^^
    Yes, I was responding the Jim C, whom had wondered if I had the complete unit. I forgot to add the photo in the group this morning.
    I also have some trays and whatnot that were attached to the unit.
    But I don't intend on studio work but an attempt at a semi-serious hobby. It's one of the items I was considering donating to a local school photography program as my friend that left me everything was a university professor of arts for a number of years.

Doc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The wooden camera is the 8x10 version of the Tachihara field camera, no longer made for many years. I have the 4x5. I'm not sure what the wooden box-like frame in the later photo is. As with the Linhold, you'll have to extend the bellows and see what kind of shape they're in. I had mine replaced by Richard Ritter in VT (who also makes cameras) with a synthetic material. He also adjusted and fixed a long-term issue on the camera for me. He charges very reasonably and does excellent work. (He's also a member of the forum here. https://www.lg4mat.net/)

The "data ring" on lenses is the flat, front-facing ring around the front element of the lens, as shown in a couple of your images. It tells the focal length of the lens (e.g., 180mm, 270mm), the maximum (widest) aperture setting, or f number (e.g., f/5.6, f/9), usually the screw thread diameter for screw -in filters or lens hoods (e.g., 67mm often shown with the O with a diagonal line through it), adn the lens manufacturer, such as Schneider-Kreuznach.

One lens you have is a lens for a printing, not the camera, unless so mounted. It's the one that goes from 5.6 - 22, I believe, in click stops.

I'll let others comment on the spotting on the lenses. It may just be dust, but could be something else they can speak to.

You have a real treasure chest, and it will take time to pull it all together, but what an adventure!

A luthier, eh? Violins or guitars (or lutes)?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    The wooden camera is the 8x10 version of the Tachihara field camera, no longer made for many years. I have the 4x5. I'm not sure what the wooden box-like frame in the later photo is. As with the Linhold, you'll have to extend the bellows and see what kind of shape they're in. I had mine replaced by Richard Ritter in VT (who also makes cameras) with a synthetic material. He also adjusted and fixed a long-term issue on the camera for me. He charges very reasonably and does excellent work. (He's also a member of the forum here. https://www.lg4mat.net/)

The "data ring" on lenses is the flat, front-facing ring around the front element of the lens, as shown in a couple of your images. It tells the focal length of the lens (e.g., 180mm, 270mm), the maximum (widest) aperture setting, or f number (e.g., f/5.6, f/9), usually the screw thread diameter for screw -in filters or lens hoods (e.g., 67mm often shown with the O with a diagonal line through it), adn the lens manufacturer, such as Schneider-Kreuznach.

One lens you have is a lens for a printing, not the camera, unless so mounted. It's the one that goes from 5.6 - 22, I believe, in click stops.

I'll let others comment on the spotting on the lenses. It may just be dust, but could be something else they can speak to.

You have a real treasure chest, and it will take time to pull it all together, but what an adventure!

A luthier, eh? Violins or guitars (or lutes)?
    Thank-you for this informative post! I just quickly reviewed Richard's work and it looks wonderful! Some of those cameras are unbelievable in size. Very impressive! I have business in the US and checked my driving route and to visit his shop would only be about an hour off my usual path so I think I'll reach out to him about a re-bellowing of the Master Technika and the Tachihara. I really appreciate the lead.
    The Tachihara is actually the first camera I received from my friend Carl when I first visited his widow after his passing. She had a number of things for me and said there would be more when his studio had been tidied up more. The second grouping included most of the Linhof items.
    And thank-you again for the clarification of the 'data-ring'. It's what I assumed it was but the clarification is very welcomed.

As for me, my focus is the restoration of fretted instruments, mostly of the prewar variety. I did spend my first professional decade in the trade working in violin shops but I don't really play them so I turned my focus to the instruments I spend more of my free time with. In the odd case, I have been known to make an instrument but the unique challenges of restoration are what pique my interest most.

Many thanks,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Burns View Post
    Yes, I was responding the Jim C, whom had wondered if I had the complete unit. I forgot to add the photo in the group this morning.
    I also have some trays and whatnot that were attached to the unit.
    But I don't intend on studio work but an attempt at a semi-serious hobby. It's one of the items I was considering donating to a local school photography program as my friend that left me everything was a university professor of arts for a number of years.

Doc

Those studio stands can be a godsend with height adjustability and steadiness, but they can be challenging
    to keep due their height and weight. You may consider donating it to the university where your friend was a professor , they
    may have a more advanced photography course that may have use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Those studio stands can be a godsend with height adjustability and steadiness, but they can be challenging
    to keep due their height and weight. You may consider donating it to the university where your friend was a professor , they
    may have a more advanced photography course that may have use for it.
    Thanks Jim. That was my exact thought.

Thank-you everyone for your assistance with these items. I think between your help and the various catalogs and manuals Carl kept, I should be able to figure out what goes where and how to go about getting the appropriate work done to the equipment so I can put it to use.

Many thanks,
    Doc

I am wondering if anyone knows what these last few items are. I believe they all go together given the colour of the wooden frame. I suppose I know what the Tachihara 8x10 frame is and the lens I believe is the (main?) one my friend Carl paired for it with use. I believe the one additional plate is to reduce the picture from an 8x10 to a 4x5 but I'm not sure what the box thing is with the frosted glass and I can't find something similar with a Google search. Can anyone aid in this inquiry?

Many thanks,
    Doc

What's the size of the ground glass on that larger adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    Good question Chuck. I'm away from my shop now so I'll have to give it a proper measurement Sun/Mon when I return. I'd guess 11" x 14" or so but I confirm a size in a few days.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    Well, I managed to figure out (with your inquiry hint of asking it's size) that it is meant to increase the rear standard from the 8x10 it comes with, to a 10x12. It also has the 4x5 reducing back. Thanks for the hint Chuck!

I've realized that if this isn't something someone has seen before (the 10x12 extension/adaptor - I can't find one going through a number of Google searches) it may be something Carl had made for him by Tachihara as he taught and worked in Japan for some time. Just a thought as the woods, the dye and hardware all seem correct.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Burns View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows what these last few items are. I believe they all go together given the colour of the wooden frame. I suppose I know what the Tachihara 8x10 frame is and the lens I believe is the (main?) one my friend Carl paired for it with use. I believe the one additional plate is to reduce the picture from an 8x10 to a 4x5 but I'm not sure what the box thing is with the frosted glass and I can't find something similar with a Google search. Can anyone aid in this inquiry?

Many thanks,
    Doc
    [/IMG]
    Yep you have a reduction and a enlarging back here for the Tachihara. You also have a Tachihara lensboard adapter to accept the 45 Technika lens boards. This is useful as it allows you to interchange lenses between the Tachihara and the Linhof.

The Lens you show here is a Rodenstock 360mm f9 Apo-Ronar it is fitted to a Copal 3 shutter and mounted to a 45 Technika lensboard, which is sitting in a Tachihara lensboard that is used to adapt the Technika board to the Tachihara.

Rodenstock is the lens maker - one of the very best.

APO- Ronar is the lens model - made from 1982 more info is here - https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00817/00817.pdf

360mm is the lens focal length - unless it is says T or Tele (it does not in this case) it is also the minimum amount of bellows you will need to focus, the lens will move out as you focus closer. The Linhof Technika can go to 400mm bellows extension so 360 is just about the longest you would want to go and still be able to focus at closer portrait distances.

f9 is the maximum lens aperture - the lower the number the more light it can take in and the faster shutter speed you can use. f9 is a slow lens but a fast 360mm lens would be a great big heavy thing that would not be able to mount to a Technika lens board.

Copal is the make of the shutter - a fine Japanese brand that was in fact the last brand standing in the end... today nobody makes these leaf shutters anymore.

No 3 is the size of the shutter - 3 is a big shutter, the lower the number the smaller the size of the shutter. Generally you will find faster speeds on the smaller shutters.

Hopefully this is helpful info, you can go look into the other lenses and get a sense of how they fit in, also if you need info on a lens you will need to provide the make,model, focal legnth ie 360mm, and the F# ie F9.
    Last edited by Embdude; 29-Jun-2023 at 16:36.