Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello! New here, requesting help with camera

Hello! New here, requesting help with camera

Hi all,

Firstly, I hope everyone is well and that I am posting on the correct section.

I was recently bequeathed a collection of cameras and camera equipment from an artist friend. His name was J. Carl Heywood and we became acquainted through an art gallery I am associated with. We hit it off quite well, I'm in my mid 40's and Carl was in his 80's but the most youthful and joyful fellow. He was known for his visual artistry and renowned as a Master Printmaker with his works in museums the world over.
    In our discussions, I learned of his love of photography, which he incorporated more in his early works. We especially had a love for the works of Yousuf Karsh, whom my grandfather was assistant to (and his brother Malak) in their early years upon immigrating to Canada. Carl to joy in reviewing some of the Karsh pieces my grandfather assisted with that are still in my family collection.

Anyways, Carl told me he had several cameras he no longer used and told me he would like for me to have them. Unfortunately, Carl passed suddenly a few months ago so I didn't get to really discuss the units with him. I'm hoping you all can help me identify what exactly I have here. This is just some of the collection.
    I hope to some day soon put them to good use.

Many thanks,
    Doc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Hello! New here, requesting help with camera

Some more

Last few

You have a LInhof Master Technika, missing the slide buttons to operate the top flap. A LInhof Mutifocus finder with the 6x12 mask for the LInhof Techno Rollex back and the mirror focusing device.

Thank-you Bob! The missing buttons may be around somewhere; there is so much stuff. Or, it may also be that there is another unit (I've forgotten the name but have the literature) I have that I think attaches all around it. It's off white in colour and seems to about double the camera in size?
    I also have the frame for an 8 x 10 camera which I forget the name of but it's wooden and I think Japanese.

Doc

As Bob says a Linhof Master Technika. This is a field camera that makes 4x5 inch film negatives. In your case you also have the 9x12 Techno Rollex back, a very pricy item, that shoots panoramic 9x12cm negatives on 120 roll film. This model first came out in 1972 and is still sold by Linhof today as the Master Technika Classic. The camera is capable of view camera movements, tilt, shift, swing, & rise. The ability to close up like a turtle in a protective shell makes it ideal for travel and field use. It can even be fitted with a hand-grip and used as a hand camera if you have strong arms! Most of us will use it on a tripod which allows more time to make critical decisions in composition and camera settings. Your camera looks to be in used but good shape. The camera in the photos has the bed set to accept 3 lenses, as it has 3 infinity stops and 3 focal lengths indicated on the focus distance scales along the side. This camera also has a rangefinder for focus which is nice and somewhat unique on a view camera but it needs to be calibrated properly to each lens via a butter knife shaped cam.

https://linhof.com/en/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52336163077_2b908f8628_o.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	239364

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    As Bob says a Linhof Master Technika. This is a field camera that makes 4x5 inch film negatives. In your case you also have the 9x12 Techno Rollex back, a very pricy item, that shoots panoramic 9x12cm negatives on 120 roll film. This model first came out in 1972 and is still sold by Linhof today as the Master Technika Classic. The camera is capable of view camera movements, tilt, shift, swing, & rise. The ability to close up like a turtle in a protective shell makes it ideal for travel and field use. It can even be fitted with a hand-grip and used as a hand camera if you have strong arms! Most of us will use it on a tripod which allows more time to make critical decisions in composition and camera settings. Your camera looks to be in used but good shape. The camera in the photos has the bed set to accept 3 lenses, as it has 3 infinity stops and 3 focal lengths indicated on the focus distance scales along the side. This camera also has a rangefinder for focus which is nice and somewhat unique on a view camera but it needs to be calibrated properly to each lens via a butter knife shaped cam.

https://linhof.com/en/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52336163077_2b908f8628_o.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	239364
    Thank-you very much for this information! You and Bob have started me on the path to learning more about this unit so I can put it to use.
    I also have a few tripods that I received (yes, I don't think I'd hold this up for any extended time), one Technika that's very well made and quite compact. A second Technika, more robust that I imagine I'll put to use with this camera and a third, again Technika that must be a studio one as it is enormous.
    Carl also left me a number of other cameras but they're not LF so I wouldn't bore you lot with the details of the odd (to me) units.

Many thanks again!
    Doc

Thanks Doc, you seem to have inherited quite a bit of treasure from your good friend Carl. It is great that you will put these cameras to good use. The Linhof Technika camera is the most enjoyment I have ever had using a camera!

Feel free to post pictures of anything you need ID on. I am very good with Linhof items but of course Bob is the real Master when it comes to things Linhof. You can do a search of his posts here in this forum and find some amazing insights!

Try to post the data ring with the lens info (often under the front cap).

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Thanks Doc, you seem to have inherited quite a bit of treasure from your good friend Carl. It is great that you will put these cameras to good use. The Linhof Technika camera is the most enjoyment I have ever had using a camera!

Feel free to post pictures of anything you need ID on. I am very good with Linhof items but of course Bob is the real Master when it comes to things Linhof. You can do a search of his posts here in this forum and find some amazing insights!

Try to post the data ring with the lens info (often under the front cap).
    Thanks again! I have everything in my workshop so I'll post the various lens data rings tomorrow when I'm back there. Carl left a bunch a literature as well so at minimal, I know the name of a few of the accessories.
    And thanks as well for the videos! The second I came across earlier today after Bob and you confirmed it as a Master Technika.

Bob mentioned a couple of missing parts ("slide buttons to operate the top flap") is this something I can get replacements of through Linhof (should I not be able to find them amidst all the various items I have)?
    Lastly, is there a case one could recommend? Carl had it in a makeshift converted suitcase and I'd like to have everything a little more secure. I'm thinking about a Nanuk 940.

Many thanks again!
    Doc