Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobo 2830 and 8x10 processing

Re: Jobo 2830 and 8x10 processing

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    You also need a set of print/film separators. These are small cylindrical tubes that slide into the raised ridges on the 2830. Place them a couple of inches from the top and directly across the circumference from each other and slide each sheet between them. You'll hear a distinct "pop" as the edge of the film snaps into place under the clip. Without the clips there is a distinct possibility that the sheets will become displaced during rotation and impede the flow of chemistry across each sheet resulting in uneven development. The clips prevent this from happening. I process 2 sheets of 8x10 film frequently with the 2830 and the clips and have never had a problem. To easily remove the film from the tank fill it with water to "lubricate" the back side of the sheet.
    What about doing single sheets of 11x14 film in a 2840? Would I need clips for any reason, either with CPE 2 or another roller base?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    What about doing single sheets of 11x14 film in a 2840? Would I need clips for any reason, either with CPE 2 or another roller base?
    (Warning: extrapolating ahead…)

I use a 28XX tank on the CCP2 processor to do 7x17” sheets. It holds 2 nicely. The sheets fit around the curve and “snap” securely into the areas between ribs. Never had any new pop out with a couple of hundred sheets done this way…

Without ever having touched a piece of 11x14”, I’m wondering whether these, too, would do the same (assuming 2x7”=14”)?

(As a sub note, I am also interested to find out if 8x10” sheets will also work in this tank as there is a 1” gap between the rib I use for 7x17 and the rib diagonally across from the starting rib).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I had some issues with the 28xx tanks and certain films, where the back of the film would not get wet during processing. I did come up with a solution that worked for me, but now I usually get out the 3005 drum, even for 2 sheets. That expert drum has yielded perfectly processed negatives, even when accidentally loaded emulsion side out!

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-and-solutions

Lachlan 717

Agreed with the 3005. Expensive, but unrivalled.
    Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I had some issues with the 28xx tanks and certain films, where the back of the film would not get wet during processing. I did come up with a solution that worked for me, but now I usually get out the 3005 drum, even for 2 sheets. That expert drum has yielded perfectly processed negatives, even when accidentally loaded emulsion side out!

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-and-solutions
    What was your solution to the 28xx drum rear wetting problem ? There is no Expert drum for 11x14 sheet film, so I need to use a 28xx, one 11x14 sheet at a time. Thank you.

Lachlan 717

I don’t have wetting issues with 7x17 in 28XX tanks.

I doubt you will, either, should 11x14” fit securely. This is based on the 11x14 sheet going over a rib, whereas 8x10 doesn’t.
    Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    What was your solution to the 28xx drum rear wetting problem ? There is no Expert drum for 11x14 sheet film, so I need to use a 28xx, one 11x14 sheet at a time. Thank you.
    Something with the fixer contacting the back of the film. By fixing outside the drum in a tray, the marks were eliminated.