Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JB Weld Tested

Re: JB Weld Tested

Here is an extensive test and review of epoxy compounds which also rates Devcon and Marine Tex.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnCoGEHRXw

I have used both Marine Tex and JB Weld to bed accurized rifles and photo equipment. Some gunsmiths claim that JB Weld contains steel, so before I used it on electronic circuits, I tested it with a very sensitive Ohm meter and found it non-conductive. It is perfectly suited for electrical/electronic use. The Gray Marine Tex is excellent and easy to work with but is expensive and requires careful mixing. White Marine Tex is nowhere near as strong. Here is an M21 clone bedded with Marine Tex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M21LRBSAKHR.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	239297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M21glass1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	239298

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post

Some gunsmiths claim that JB Weld contains steel, so before I used it on electronic circuits, I tested it with a very sensitive Ohm meter and found it non-conductive. It is perfectly suited for electrical/electronic use.
    There are a number of JB Weld products, as you seem to already know. JB Weld SteelStik(tm) contains steel for use on exhaust systems and the like. I believe that is the only one, but could be wrong.

Good to know

I have been looking at many youtubes

My problen is old sandcast Alu, very thin

I have new mill aluminum coming, it will be stronger, and only incorrect to we maniacs

Getting the camera functional is job 1

Watched a lot of Alu welders on youtube, they work very fast

I have done a lot of MIG, Stick and Gas, but never Alu
    Tin Can

JB Weld repairs Mamiya Paramender YAY by Nokton48, on Flickr

The other day I bought this Mamiya TLR original Paramender, from Gary himself at World of Photography. I really like his new store, it has a very funky vibe, and it's loaded to the gills. Took this unit home, and darnit, the metal is super loose and floppy, but the original screws are stii there! Examined it carefully and JBWeld to the rescue AGAIN. I pried the rail up, so I could smooth JBWeld with the flat end of a toothpick, smearing on a thick coat. Took both screws out of the rail, they are completely stripped out, smeared JB Weld on the threads thickly, then jammed the screws in and make sure I have a good hold. Wrapped both ends of the rail tightly, using blue masking tape. 24 hours later, it's good as new and works smoothly. In camera stores, we used to say this was "huffed". But now fixed and these are going over a hundred bucks on Ebay. Actually I like the patina, This will work great with my fave C2 Mamiyaflex, I also have a much cleaner Paramender to go on my C22's and C33's. The Paramender was stickered at $10 so a nice find.

You can do ANYTHING with JBWeld if you put on your thinking cap.

I also bought a 30mm Sony Nex Macro lens for my new to me Sony Nex 7. Works good eh? Autofocuses to 1"
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Bad? That weren't nothin'. We dealt with 53 different auto dealerships. All but one had a crooked repair department. And certain import brands were "pre-vandalized" before the ever reached this country. The only real positive is that I got to work side by side with an older fellow who had been a NASA optical engineer, and really knew his stuff. For both of us it was just an interim job, and we soon got fed up and moved on, but ended up working together again until he retired many yeas later.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    There are a number of JB Weld products, as you seem to already know. JB Weld SteelStik(tm) contains steel for use on exhaust systems and the like. I believe that is the only one, but could be wrong.
    I used JB Weld "Kwik Steel" on my Weston meter. It is billed on the packaging as a steel reinforced epoxy.

Would JB Weld work with a plastic handle on my microwave. The place on one end where it screws to the machine broke and there's no handles available to replace anymore. Do you just stick it or mold it or both?

I would use SuperGlue as it will be less messy and a spouse may like it better

I buy $3 3M Super glue from Amazon and it is One shot as it goes bad real quick after opening

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Would JB Weld work with a plastic handle on my microwave. The place on one end where it screws to the machine broke and there's no handles available to replace anymore. Do you just stick it or mold it or both?
    Tin Can

A better test of Goo

The Ultimate Epoxy Competition--Which Epoxy is the Best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XObmZIbHOzY&authuser=0
    Tin Can

I used JB Weld epoxy putty to make a new tip for a wind lever:

Name:	SL35 Wind Lever 0.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	239306

Name:	SL35 Wind Lever 2.5.jpg 
Views:	7