Thread: C-41 in Stearman Press 8x10...need advice!

C-41 in Stearman Press 8x10...need advice!

Hello all,

I know there will be people saying this is not an ideal way to do color sheets, and I am open to other options! However, since I have a lot of success with my SP-8x10 for both black and white and E-6, I would like to figure out a method for C-41 that produces acceptable results so I don't have to invest in more equipment. Also, I already have an 8x10 reel for a Paterson tank, and the SP already produces better results than I was getting with it. I'm just looking for some... fine-tuning I suppose, so that I don't get color shifts or too much contrast/grain, which can happen from a variety of things. So far my images, which I am happy to post if anyone comments, are very contrasty and seem to have some areas that are "muddy." The edges also seem to have less density than the center of my negatives.

So, is anyone using this tank for C-41 sheets that has a method they wish to share? Brands of chemistry, etc? I would greatly appreciate it!

With E-6, I use adjusted temperatures and extended time for some of the baths. The temperature loss per bath is around 2 degrees F (give or take) per 4 minutes or so. I use a pizza bag from amazon to keep more temperature from escaping. This all took some trial and error but I finally found a method that works for me. That said, despite what people will say, I find c-41/ECN2 WAY WAY more touchy than E-6.

Anways let me know. Thank you!

C-41 in Stearman Press 8x10...need advice!

Things improved significantly for me when I used a silicon heating pad adhered to the bottom of the SP-810 tray to maintain the temperature (the largest I found to try and cover as much bottom area as possible). I made tests with water to check what temp settings on the heater I needed to keep 95F for the liquid. And I use a sousvide to keep the temp of the chemistry bottles prior to using.

Re: C-41 in Stearman Press 8x10...need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Things improved significantly for me when I used a silicon heating pad adhered to the bottom of the SP-810 tray to maintain the temperature (the largest I found to try and cover as much bottom area as possible). I made tests with water to check what temp settings on the heater I needed to keep 95F for the liquid. And I use a sousvide to keep the temp of the chemistry bottles prior to using.

Thanks for the reply! That's an awesome idea.