Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: New 75mm Hypergon Lens

Re: New 75mm Hypergon Lens

Looks like the end of the screw did not take the paint well and is showing still.

Need to re-paint it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	246877

Here is a 20 sec exposure with the fan in place for the entire exposure (fan not flipped down). So I can try to figure out how its fogging. Looks like the end of the screw is the culprit.

Name:	DSC_0140.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	246878

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	247175
    Last edited by ic-racer; 28-Feb-2024 at 07:42.

After considerable work, I was able to get a smooth surface on the inside of the spinner. My impression was the Loctite I used on the screw fouled the paint. So, no Loctite this time.
    A few coats of primer and special sanding apparatus to make a smooth inner surface were used before the black paint.
    Most recent negatives look good. Hope to get them printed soon.

Name:	DSC_0175.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	247173

Name:	Hypergon after.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	247174

Some recent negatives on my light table (negative images). Looks like the center abnormality is gone.

Also, the outdoor image is exposed at EI 25 through the back of the Retropan film.

Name:	DSC_0175.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	247178

Name:	hypergon.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	247179

I am troubled by this issue as well. Thinking if the lens maker can make new parts to address this issue as well as smoother aperture.

I had posted similar but not the same things over at APUG.

To fix the issue and smooth the inside of the spinner, I sprayed a few coats of primer. Then I made a sander like this from a washer, two sided tape and sand paper. I sanded a smooth inner finish. Then applied flat black paint.

It was more work than I expected, as I had to re-do it 3 times while experimenting as to what would work.

Anyway, once it is done, don't ever loosen the screw, as it will show again in the center.

Name:	DSC_0151.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	247477

What is the sense to make a lens like this? Why are the maker gives the rotating star a shiny golden colour? How stupid is this.
    Sorry but I donīt take it seriously.
    This is another try to use a famous name to sell cheap goods for much money.
    The same we saw as some guys reactivating the Hugo Meyer name to sell a "new" Trioplan, Primoplan etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arri View Post
    What is the sense to make a lens like this? Why are the maker gives the rotating star a shiny golden colour? How stupid is this.
    The same we saw as some guys reactivating the Hugo Meyer name to sell a "new" Trioplan, Primoplan etc.
    Which serial no. Lens did you get? Did you contact the manufacturer, or try to get your money back?

If you have a better 75mm lens formula, I'd encourage you to bring it to market and see what people think!

Quote Originally Posted by arri View Post

This is a bit different, if you aim for serious photography you should buy a 110 symmar XL. This stuff is a functional replica of a piece of photography history. Its like the world first practical ultra wide lens! And by the way I never use the original but my guess is it won't be optically much superior.

I bought it just to have an experience of using it, though I agree this stuff can be made better if the manufacturer actually shoot it for a while and make necessary improvments.

Like any number of modern LF devices, the inspired inventors/marketers don't understand the amount of engineering skill and time necessary to provide a finished, working product. Like the software industry, they put out a 'beta' product and expect their customers to do that work for them.
    I have no doubt that Goerz, in the late 19th century, made sure that their Hypergon lens worked properly before putting it in their catalog; after all, their market was a group of demanding professionals who relied on the lens to provide salable photographs... and they had a reputation to uphold.
    I salute ic-racer for figuring out the issues and making a workable version. I hope he and the other new Hypergon owners will provide us with some successful photos made with this very specialized lens!